Just Got A Sony TC-399

Darkshark

Diamond Rio Monitors
Hello All,

A friend of mine just gave me a Sony TC-399 Stereo 2 Track reel to reel tape recorder.
Would anyone have a PDF manual for this unit or any advice on tape to use with it ?

Thank you !

DS

I found this link, but looks like you need to register, it is an Indian website:

http://nodevice.in/manual/newmans/600/SONY_TC399_Tape_Recorder_Service_Manualpdf/get30350.html

I'd guess something 1 mil like RMGI LPR-35. The one page visible on the above talks about Sony "Ferri-Chrome" tape. don't know what that is. The only Sony tape I have a x-ref for is DUAD, or SLH, which are 1mil. Maxell UD-35, Scotch Master or Scotch 250 are listed as the direct equiv in the manual for the Teac A-3300SX, and I've seen these pop up on Ebay.

Check the sticky shed thread here re: the latter two, the Maxell is not sticky shed. You can occasionally find NOS Maxell, but somewhat at a premium. All these are 1mil tapes though. I'd try the LPR-35 if you want new current production tape. NOS Ampex 642 may work as well if you can locate.

sony tc-399

hi, did you ever get this machine sorted and how do you play tracks 1-4 and 2-3 i cant see the switch!
regards

hi, did you ever get this machine sorted and how do you play tracks 1-4 and 2-3 i cant see the switch!
regards
I will probably get shot down for this reply because I am not completely sure that I am right. So here it goes...If I am not mistaken, on a two track machine, there is not an option for tracks 1-4 and 2-3, there are only two tracks. The record and playback heads are designed to utilize the whole width of the tape with those two tracks. That is my understanding, I could be wrong.

You're right, that is sometimes the case.
A stereo half track machine will use the whole tape width for two tracks.
A stereo quarter track machine will use 1/4 of the tape per channel.
They'd be set up so you record to 1+2, or 4+3 if you reverse the tap.

I found a manual page that says "4 track-2channel".

Still, check the heads to be certain incase there were variations or something.

Check this out.
Stereo half track and stereo quarter track are at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure you just turn the reel around on that model.

Look at the heads to be certain.

i know you turn the tape round to play the other side, but as a 4 track there is usually an option to switch between tracks i.e. tracks 1 and 3 on side A and turn tape over and tracks 2 and 4...
hoping that someone who has that model will know. there are 2 seperate rec switches left and right, and a left and right switch for tape and source i wondered if i just switched say the left would it play track 1 and then switched that off and then right it would play track 3... all my old tapes are recorded that way none are in stereo..

hi yeh i saw that when i was searching online it specifically says 4 track/ 2 channel but i cant see the switch for track change....or does 2 channel mean its 2 track just recording once on eother side of tape.?
someone with that machine on ebay just replied saying ...It is a 4-track. This is what the instructions say: While holding the record levers down. set the function selector at >, now recording on tracks 1 and 3 starts.

When recording complete, return the function selector to (stop symbol). To record on side 2 (tracks 4 and 2), do not rewind the tape but reverse reel positions.

i have asked how do i just play original tapes on just one of the tracks, i.m still none the wiser!

While holding the record levers down. set the function selector at >, now recording on tracks 1 and 3 starts.

When recording complete, return the function selector to (stop symbol). To record on side 2 (tracks 4 and 2), do not rewind the tape but reverse reel positions.

That's 1980s manual speak for record on one side, then flip it over and record on the other.
Stereo on each side = four tracks per reel.

It works in exactly the same way as cassette tape, for recording and playing.

how do i just play original tapes on just one of the tracks
What does you mean, just one of the tracks?

i know you turn the tape round to play the other side, but as a 4 track there is usually an option to switch between tracks i.e. tracks 1 and 3 on side A and turn tape over and tracks 2 and 4...
It's one or the other. On a four track machine with four track heads, you wouldn't have to reverse the reels.
On a four track machine with two track heads, you would.

Look at the link I posted; It covers the heap.
1:4.jpg

the way i recorded stuff years ago...didnt have money to buy tapes!........on side A i have 2 different recordings Track 1 and track 3...turn over to side B and again different recordings Track 2 and track 4......so if i play them on a " 2 track " machine both differnt recordings will come out at same time! the shop that is selling this machine dontt know if its switchable 4 track....

Ok, so you're looking for a way to this.

Play track 1
rewind
play track 3

Flip over

Play track 2
rewind
play track 4?

Just use the PB level to turn one side down. It's a dual potentiometer so you can effectively mute L or R.

Alternatively you could set left to monitor source with the input levels turned down, and right to monitor tape.
You'd the swap the arrangement to listen to left.

yep i see what you mean by that stereo quatre track diagram, on my old akai if i switch the track 1-4 to 2-3 you can see the heads move and i understand all that, but im sure that sony does not have that function.

i havent got the machine yet it comes wednesday but i can return it, i see what your saying just play side a and b...but i have 2 different recordings on each side, basically thay are in mono, but when it says 4 track i expected it to be a 4 track as i know it!...i'm still not with it...i know the channels are left and right, perhaps that machine has a function to play mono but only 1 track would play?

I realise now we're covering two different things.
Originally it sounded like you want to record 1+3, the hit a switch to record 2+4 in the same direction.

Hopefully my last post answers your question properly. :)

i know the channels are left and right, perhaps that machine has a function to play mono but only 1 track would play?
Yeah, I get you now. I think the only way to do it is with the volume controls or the monitor switches.

This machine will do what you want, but of course one recording will come out the left speaker, and the other will come out the right.
Have you got a little mixer or a daw where you could centre pan each tape output before it gets to the speakers?

Any reel to reels I've had were like that; They had a dedicated output per channel with no mixer or panning.
My sony tc645 had the same arrangement as yours.

hi
thanks for that info, that makes a lot of sense , i was hoping there was a way and using that left and right and monitor makes sense. i can see what the tracks state are now thanks to your diagram you posted.....so the machine obviously will play both tracks at same time but as you say if i turn down one side to 0 i can do what i want... i hope i can do that on the line outs as well.
thanks again all will be known wednesday....

No problem.
I hope that all helps, and sure if something comes up, you can always come back.

I only have little experience with reels, but there are a few proper gurus around here. ;)

Back