Just got a New RME Fireface 800

ChuckU

So far so good. Setup on my laptop was a breeze. I'll be using it to record my band live on Saturday. Can't wait!

Probably the best firewire device on the market today. Enjoy it!

And if your recordings sound bad now, you can't blame the soundcard ;)

The only unit with comparable features was the Firestudio at about half the price. I was hoping the price difference would be justified by compatibility and robustness. I'll post more after I use it this weekend.

I've been using mine for a while now with a Macbook Pro.

So far, it's the most portable studio I own, and I doubt that will be surpassed unless they build one into a Mac.
The fact that it also works with PC makes it a godsend, as I just got an Apogee Ensemble for the mac.

But yeah, you'll be damn pleased with it. I personally adore the preamps, they don't clog up a mix, and I daresay they're even better than my Soundcrafts (which, after 45 tracks, starts to get a bit muddy).

Good luck with it, and make sure to keep it out of harms way. The knobs come off easily, and losing one would suck.

Well, wow. I got some nice tracks on Saturday. I will have a few posted soon. The unit was flawless. I ran 11 tracks. 10 analog, one SPDIF (using my J-Station as an A to D converter). I used a year old laptop PC with Sonar and a 200GB USB2 LaCie HD. Some of the levels off the mixer to the Fireface - a Mackie 1604VLZ - may have been a bit hot. I was playing and using the mixer to feed the house and monitors also. So, rushed for time, recording setup was less thorough than I would have liked.
Then on Monday, I hooked it up to my main setup for mixdown. Again, drivers loaded swiftly on my studio PC and the Fireface's software mixer allowed me to direct the output the way I wanted. Live recording was not my goal when I bought it, but it is really to disconnect and reconnect.

heya guys first post here ... came right in the door to this thread .... got to say I am totally amazed at the FF800 myself .... used motu stuff for years and it just blows me away .... well worth the money in my opinion ...

We've been using the Fireface 800 since November 2005. Performance has been flawless. We record @ 48k/24 bit, mostly live recordings. Twelve audio tracks (ten analog and two via SPDIF) plus MIDI (14 tracks total).

Back