Just getting Started

Kato

Hello all, (sorry a little bit of a lengthy post but I've got a lot of info to cover :)

I'm just getting started in the realm of digital recording and at this point I'm shopping for equipment. I was wondering if anyone had any good advice on a few things.

First of I didn't come to this decision lightly. After realizing I've spent near $50,000+ in recording studios spanning over my musical career. I'm sure that amount will near triple by the time I'm done. SO it seemed logical to me just to build my own studio so I don't get soaked by studios in the future... Especially since our record company just shelved us, so we have to pay for everything on our own again.

I'll let you all know where I'm at right now. I'm going to be running this all off my home comp. system. First I've got a P2 350 128 megs ram. About 5 gigs free space and I just bought a new sound card, a AudioWerk8 by Emagic. Unfortunately I've got a IDE board instead of a SCSI board so no advanced red book audio for me, but I can make do. Recording apps. I think I'll be using Logic Audio if not TripleDAT. I've actually got an arsenal of audio software but no hardware. For a board I'm thinking about a Tascam TD-M1000 (any opinions on that?). And for miking I've got a good connection on Shure mikes for a good price, though not the greatest for everything, it's got the best bang for the buck :)

But I'm also looking into monitors, that I have no clue on what's good what's not for a reasonable price range. Any suggestions?

Also I'm not sure how to get all this to jive together. Any knowledge there?

I really want to have this up and running within the next couple of months.

Oh yeah anyone got any suggestions on recording amplified (very distorted) guitars? Recording them analog is a little easier for me in that aspect, gives a little bit more warmth to the overall sound but digital seems to make it very shrill and grindy. The only work around I've found to date is recording several tracks of lightly distorted guitar overlapping each other and that sounds *alright* I suppose, but it doesn't seem to have quite the attack I'm looking for as well as sounding a little jumbled. Oi! Too much to do...

Any help anyone could offer would be great. Thanks for putting up with my long winded post :)

hay,
Getting the best most expencive monitors isn't the solution. geting a cheaper pair that you like the sound of and you are familiar with is often better. If you know the sound of your speakers then you can compare your music to others on your speakers and can make your decisions on that.

And if you need to record distorted guitars one of the best ways is if you have a good amp with two speakers you can face a condensor mic at one and a dynamic mic at the other and when you record it and fix the sound differance it sounds awsome. but you need to put the mics close to the amp so they don't pick up background nois.

HAWLK

You don't need a SCSI mother board to be able to record RED BOOK spec audio CD's
In essance the only advantage to SCSI is that it is faster than IDE. I do live recording on my AMD400 with a 20 gig Western Digital (IDE) hard drive and have run 16 tracks live with no problems. My suggestion go out and buy another larger drive at least 10gig and add it to your computer for audio only. Drives are cheap and most computers will run 4 of them. The software you have sound great I wouldn't change it.

Back