Just getting my feet wet

Aggie_Cowboy007

Howdy!
I am a sophomore college student. I have developed an interest in songwriting with my acoustic guitar. I have recorded a couple songs on my computer (HP Pavilion mx70 running XP) with the Windows Sound Recorder. The quality of this sucks (with all default settings, I was not sure if I should change things) and when I burned it onto a CD, I found that I am looking for something better.

I am a brand new user. I have no idea what to do or where to start. I would just like to know what to do to get started recording music on my computer for fun. I am looking for the most basic beginner methods and cheapest equipment to get the job done. (I gotta pay for school you know!)

My goal is to create music CD's for me and my friends/girlfriend to listen to. I want the music to sounds as close to CD quality as I can get with spending NO money or very little.

Can anyone tell me where to start and what to do? I would appreciate the help.

Thanks and Gig'em Aggies!

Aggie_Cowboy007

If you have a standard sound blaster, download a demo version of a recording software program and get familiar with it. Later you may upgrade your SB to a better quality card.

Follow Stealthtech's advice. you will not see a marked improvement on sound quality with out a better card and microphone but you will be able to multitrack and edit and that is a big step. I guess the EQ would perhaps make a marked improvment..

Good luck?

F.S.

PS you can't resist for long:) soon you'll be spending like a drunken sailor.

I think N-Track still has a shareware version of their multi-tracking software.....that's what I started with.....you can learn the basics with that and go from there

Most programs work with a standard or multichannel 16 or 24 bit soundcard.
I have Windows XP and I'm not sure what type of soundcard I have. Looking in my Hardware devices, I found "Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller."
Will this one support 16 or 24 bit? How do I find out?

Aggie_Cowboy007

Aggie_Cowboy007 said:
I want the music to sounds as close to CD quality as I can get with spending NO money or very little.

sorry my good man...... better get your new credit card activated. You're goin in debt.

For beginners, what is a good recording software program I can download (a shareware or trial version) that can guide me through what to do with a recorded song?

I have N-Track right now, and it has all these cool looking buttons and a confusing Tutorial help guide. I'm not sure how to play with EQ and stuff like that.

Got any suggestions?

n-track is all you need to get started on recording........there is a freeware program called Studio Buddy (i don't have the link...either search for it online or on this site), and it is just a catalogue of info about techniques and general stuff

Back