just finished doing a small-scale comparison...

lucid

between the pres on my behringer mx2004a mixer and the m-audio DMP3 pre.

For the test i mic'd my guitar amp with two ECM8000's (why? because they are the only mics of which i have two). Channel one was the mixer and channel two the dmp3. I proceded to record playing numerous and varied things on the guitar.

Signal Chain:

Ibanez RG470 -> shite Ashton 40 watt solid state -> ECM8000 -> behringer mixer/DMP3 -> Delta 44 -> Samplitude...

First of all: My god what have i been doing using these shitty behringer pres!? They are so harsh and lifeless and muddy! The dmp3 gave me a FULL, RICH sound that was not harsh at all. Even forcefully strummed open 'high third' strings sounded beautiful! The behringer pres when this part played made me squirm and turn the volume down. horrible. The openness of the DMP3 was wonderful. the behringer gave a VERY muddy sound that had every string and note fighting for space. The DMP3, however, provided a very open sound where every note rang clearly and every tone had it's place.

Even the overall sound was nicer. More life, air and space. More clarity. More soul. Excuse my French, but Behringer's pres can toss my salad. I can't believe I went on with the behringer's for so long and accepted them as normal.

Next on the list of gear:

FMR Audio RNC
Possibly another pre that will give a little colour... any recommendations?
SP C1

well, hehe, i suppose! :D :D
i just can't believe the difference. Behringer should be banned from the preamp market! they do, however, make some nice little signal routers that are marketed as 'mixers.' :D :D :D

lucid said:

Excuse my French, but Behringer's pres can toss my salad. I can't believe I went on with the behringer's for so long and accepted them as normal.

SEE lucid-dreams!!!! I TOLD YOU ABOUT THEM SUCK-@SS Behringer mixers!!! :D :D :D :p :D

Now do you believe me!!!?? ;) :p ;)

BTW, howz things goin lucid!!?? Hope everythings well!!!

lucid said:
First of all: My god what have i been doing using these shitty behringer pres!? They are so harsh and lifeless and muddy! The dmp3 gave me a FULL, RICH sound that was not harsh at all.

If you ever have the chance to try a Great River MP-2NV, I suggest that you have a clean pair of underwear handy. :)

haha. misterq, the pres do suck. yes. oh so much. but my mixer hasn't crapped up yet so i can't complain!

And all is good over here so far. I am well, everything is well. Just that I don't get a lot of recording done because the friends/band that i worked with before are/is still back in malaysia. Hopefully university (in a few months!) will bring about more opportunities. (Yes, my studio is coming with me :D )

jslator... if i had the money man, i would. and the clean underwear would be within reach :) i can only imagine after hearing the difference with the still cheap DMP3! wanna send me a great river ? :D :D :D :D

Back