Just Feel I need to do this-Demo's

gec

Stop waisting your time and more importantly money........ If your goal is to do a demo to send to record labels you are going to spend alot of time and money on getting nowhere...

I see alot of posts asking ???? about demo's. Why?

Demo CD - to demostrate the artists ability to write and play music

^ Make an album

Record Labels very very very very very rarely sign someone on a demo alone. If you want to get a record deal a demo is NOT the way to go. Do an album and sell 5k-15k units and take your pick on what label your gonna sign with.

Over here theres a guy called Luc Van Acker (who now lives in Chicago) who has a lot of experience with that kinda stuff and who gives some kind of master classes to young artists about how to get signed.

You need a demo tape with as first song your 'hit' song, the song that everybody tells you is the best song af the band and the one with the most hit potential.

But besides that demo tape, that only has to have 3 songs or so on it, You have to convince the record company you have enough material to record an entire album!!!! You have to got at least 15 or 20 songs ready so you can easily make a record out of the best of them.

And gec, you're right when you say bands get seldom signed by a demo, especially not sending one to them. You almost gotta be the obnoxious guy to get sound. My precious band for example had some potential said the A&R manager of universal Belgium, so he gave me his mobile phone number and asked me to keep in touch. Unfortunately our band split up a couple of weeks later, but I still have that number. And when the moment comes I have a new project I truly believe in, I'm going to ring him again and almost force him to listen to my band:-).
The same even for fellow musicians who allready are well known. When you can make contact to, even only a local, 'star' don't go playing the shy guy: Talk to him and convince him of yourself, and let him listen to your music. The next time you talk with a record company, use that reference.

Another important stuff is image!! When you promote your band you have to have pictures and a great image. Record companies are not interested in another picture of 4 guys with jeans in front of brick wall. How sad you can find this, you really need publicity and an image so than can see on which kind of audience you focus on.

I think what Gec is trying to get across is that any jerk can put together a demo but only a professional band can get their shit together enough to actually start selling albums or ep's.

A proven sales record is worth more than any demo.

demos

I completely agree that sending demos to labels is a waste of money. However, you it's going to take you a few months to get a full album recorded and set up for airplay (as it should) you simply need a low cost demo to put out to venues because thay probably wont think of letting you play unless thay can hear you. . . so you can build a fan base and then have a decient release.

That what some of my friends did in a christian hard rock band called staple ( http://www.staplemusic.com ) and they are now one of the best an most successful christian bands in the area.

but then again if you're not good you won't go anywhere

This should be common knowledge, but just in case......Almost all record labels have a policy of not opening unsolicited demos. This is both to serve as a filter, and to guard against frivilous lawsuits. They also rarely send your demo back to you, so generally it goes in the garbage, and you never know any different. this means two things:
1. Don't waste your time and money sending unsolicited demos to labels.
2. If you have done this, and didn't hear anything back, it doesn't mean they rejected you, it much more likely means they never listened to it.

The saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know" really applies here. You NEED someone who is recognized in the business to champion your effort if you want the labels to discover you by hearing your demo.

Don't know anyone? Most of us don't. But if the opportunity ever does materialize, then you better be ready. Your whole career can, and often does hinge on one chance encounter. And when it happens, and Mr. connected says "do you have a demo with you?" you had better have it with you, or your career will walk away from you as you stand there with your hands in your empty pockets. And the demo you hand over better be ready for this moment too. There's thousands and thousands of other demos that the label doesn't have to use their imagination to hear what you could sound like. Especially these days, when nearly anyone who's serious about it can afford good quality recording equipment. And yes, having a whole CD, not just a demo, increases your chances dramaticaly.

Record your own, or go to a studio? Tough question. Recording is something that takes a good deal of skill to do right, and for most people, even with great equipment, it takes years to really develop those skills. If you're songwriting and playing skills are ready now, and you know little to nothing about recording, then it might make more sense to head to the studio. But if you love recording, and are a prolific songwriter, then investing in the gear to do it yourself may be better in the long run.

Cheers, RD

BrettB said:
Over here theres a guy called Luc Van Acker (who now lives in Chicago) who has a lot of experience with that kinda stuff and who gives some kind of master classes to young artists about how to get signed.
:D I had that same masterclass, I guess... hehe...

The idea of the workshop was: how to get big as a Belgian band. And his answer was pretty clear: as a Belgian band, you really don't have a chance. Move. That was it. Hehe. Funny.

Brett told you most of it... Dude also talked about all sorts of contracts. Hehe. Like we will ever get to sign a decent contract... :rolleyes:

Back