Just bought my FIRST guitar! :-)

Jedman

I couldn't get an expensive one, but it's my first one...I got a book, and I'm learning some tonight. It's a J. Reynolds (looks like a Strat copy) and sounds pretty cool to me. Cost $120 at Music-go-round.
Here's a pic: http://store5.yimg.com/I/apollosaxes_1733_14543714
The one I got is the teal/blue looking one, on the far left.

Thanks for everyone who gave me advice a while back.
Jed

Very cool first guitar. If you are just starting to learn how to play, I'd recommend the "Ultimate Beginner Series" of videos from Warner Bros. Look for anything done by Keith Wyatt.

Congrats! If you're looking for a great sounding small amp with 30 watts, built-in effects and amp modeling, check out the Roland Cube 30 at $225. If you don't need the amp modeling but want great tone and effects, the Roland Cube 15 (15 watts) is great too, at around $100.

Be prepared for the pain! You will go through several different stages of pain on the end of your fingers for several months. Sometimes they may throb. They may sting. They may itch at times. You may feel as though it's not worth the pain. But when they begin to hurt really good, just keep on playing. On the other side of the pain is the music. After a while the pain begins to feel good. When you really get your hand conditioned, you will have to play to make your hand feel right. Takes a lot of practice. and pain. Not trying to discourage you. Just be prepared.

I wouldn't suggest get any effects just yet. You really should learn to play the guitar before you let the effects mold your style.

Very nice guitar and I second the very good omments / suggestions given, especially to stick with it no matter what!:)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Reading music isn't a problem, as I'm a keyboardist, but trying to get my fingers in these "funky" chord positions is well . . . it will take some time to get fast, I think!
As for an Amp, I didn't have much $ left from getting studio stuff, so I got a used Squier 15 by Fender - they were selling it for $40. Did I get an OK deal on that amp? I just wanted something small to put in my room for learning; when I get good, maybe I'll look at some that you suggested.

I'm pretty excited - it took me a half hour to learn the first two strings, though...
Jed

A question about the 3 knobs....

This "Squier 15" amp has volume, gain, master, treble, middle, and bass knobs. It also has a headphone jack...but no reverb or anything, I guess.

Had a question about the three knobs on my guitar and the 5-way switch. (I'm obviously a noobie here) Why are there two tone knobs? When do I use them, and also, when should I use that switch? I noticed it makes the sound change subtly....

Thank you for tips,
Jed

Welcome to our world jedman. Your tone controls and switch are for different pickup selections. All the way down is your bridge pickup. All the way forward is your neck pickup. The one in the middle is the middle pickup and the remaining two are a blend of the bridge/middle and middle/neck pickups. Hope you'll stick with it. Guitar (as is all music) is a wonderful pasttime.

cheers,

rpe

Play until you bleed! You know, as common as that phrase is, I have never bled from practising too much. Mind you I have lifted fingernails learning "bends" and have been impaled by a million breaking strings.... but hardly even a blister. so..play until you bleed

Another thing about the tone knobs....one is for the nick pickup and the other is for the middle. You can not control the tone if the bridge pickup is selected by itself.

When do you use the switch?
When ever you feel like it. It is so you can find a sound that YOU like. There are a million of them on that guitar. (...and a million more when you have a slight distortion and you pick from soft to hard............hint hint hint..........)

Thanks for the tone-control lesson! :)
I'm thinking about taking this used amp back, because it's kind of noisy when you turn the knobs...maybe that's ok? Wish I would have turned it on in the store before I bought it. Oh well. We'll see what I can get...
The finger tips are there - I can feel 'em. :)

Jed

jedman,
scratchy noises when turning the knobs are caused by corrosion in the potentiometers. either turning them quite a bit or spraying contact cleaner in and doing the same wlil usually take care of that. 40 bucks for a 15-watt amp that sounds decent is a great deal. not that i know what that amp sounds like. i'm looking to ditch a couple of tube 12" amps (crate vc20 and a '70 or so fender musicmaster) for a single, inexpensive, decent-sounding small amp.

Congrats on the First Axe, Bro! The advice on the Keith Wyatt Vids is good. I play by ear and have since I first started in '68 or so. I wish they would have made instruction stuff like that then. I tore up a lot of vinyl learning chops the hard way. :D

CR ><>

Back