Just bought Alesis HD24

vlasor

I just recently have begun putting together a small recording studio and my desire is to be able to do multi-tracking to record live concerts as well as layering the tracks.

My question is this, my next investment is a console to compliment the HD24, what would be a recommendation as far as what to go with. The money is not really an option, and keep in mind that I want to do multitracking with isolating the outputs.

Thanks.....

vlasor said:
My budget extends upto about $2000. And yes, I'm looking for a 24 channel with tape returns...

Hmmm. You're probably looking used in that range, the Mackie 24 8 bus should be cheaper than that, and A&H should be right around that. A bit more maybe for a used Ghost.

Do a search on the Alesis board, there have been discussions about options there.

Yes, there are used Mackie 8 buss, Soundcraft, A&H boards that would fit the description and budget perfectly.

I would look for an Allen Heath GS3, or even GS3000 if you can. It will have to be used though. If you do go Alesis, I would avoid the new ones. Alesis actually used to make a studio console (mid sized frame with stand) that sounds much better than the new stuff. I forget the actual model, but I have seen them out their used for well under $2k. You should also easily be able to find a Soundtracs Topaz for under that price. You should be able to get a 24 channel Ghost with no meter bridge used for that as well. It sounds like you may want to mix analog. If that is the case, I would seriously reccomend avoiding the Mackie.

I think that Alesis is called the X20.

If you can score a 24 channel Ghost for under $2,000 that would be a great way to go.

You should be able to get a 24 channel Ghost LE without the additional meterbridge for $2000 or less used. The LE does not have the midi automation, and the meterbridges run around $750 I believe.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do some research and some shopping and see what I can come up with......

xstatic said:
I would look for an Allen Heath GS3, or even GS3000 if you can. It will have to be used though. If you do go Alesis, I would avoid the new ones. Alesis actually used to make a studio console (mid sized frame with stand) that sounds much better than the new stuff. I forget the actual model, but I have seen them out their used for well under $2k. You should also easily be able to find a Soundtracs Topaz for under that price. You should be able to get a 24 channel Ghost with no meter bridge used for that as well. It sounds like you may want to mix analog. If that is the case, I would seriously reccomend avoiding the Mackie.

Yes, go for Allen & Heath. The EQ is warm and I like the sound a lot. It's a good investment with the HD24. They build mixer's like tanks. I've had one for about 8-10 years and never had a problem.. Which means if you get one used, you got a lot of life left in it...

Back