Just another song about Cows.

i like your style!

i dig the horns. they are maybe a bit too up front in the mix.

the bass is a little farty, maybe that fits the context? i like the guitars as is.

hard to comment much on the mix with the low quality encoding. maybe you could post something with a higher bitrate?

singing is good. like that high note!

Oh man!

Rats has got a home for you near Detroit!

You've got it loud enough. Use some of that leverage to back off and get a more natural sound at that blistering level.

"Rain"

BTW Tucci I love your restaurant... in which.. uh... I ate maybe.... once?? :confused:

Way cool jazz fusion stuff. Great drumming. Stripped down bare, but groovy and jazzy at the same time. Reminds me of Cake & Violent Femmes & Some guy with the last name of Porter :confused:

Hell yes. Very nice. Decent singing. If w/5 means anything, then w/5 it is.

Chad

Last edited:
not the cleanest recording i've ever heard, but i think it's more because of the mp3 encoding than anything else.............

the music is interesting...i like it.........."cows go moo"..........fun stuff

great horns

Glad you checked it out...

Thanks for listening and the feedback everyone...glad you enjoyed it, this tune is a favorite with the vegetarians, and I'm not exactly joking. yeah I encoded it at a slow bitrate because our server is almost full......and didn't have much more room. Yes, the bass was severely compressed if I remember right...do think that's what made it farty?

A home in Detroit with Rats?
I don't understand, but it sounds like it could be fun...btw Doc, do you remember the very first tune I posted from way back when - "Wait and See". I remember your unusual tune about cats. Anyway Doc, I'm interested to know what you think about "Rain".
Thanks to those of you who listened to Rain...did you notice the congas? Something about where they sit bothers me but I'm not sure what it is....I don't know if I instinctively want them louder or what...
Hey participant, stop by my restaurant again anytime...I'll give you a free entree just because you complemented the song.
Yes, I agree, the vocals were just decent....that was the very first take if I remember right....no second tries to make it better. But all in all I think they were acceptable.

And I should have mentioned, these tunes were recorded in a pretty fancy studio in a huge rush. We had about 2 or 3 tries for everything. So I didn't engineer it but did make a lot of mixing decisions. All in all, do you think we would have been better off recording it ourselves and taking more time? I debate this a lot and am curious as to what you folks think. It was nice to have the studio engineers there with their fancy gear, much nicer than mine....but I'm still undecided.

Thanks again,

Tucci

Re: Glad you checked it out...

Tucci said:
All in all, do you think we would have been better off recording it ourselves and taking more time? I debate this a lot and am curious as to what you folks think. It was nice to have the studio engineers there with their fancy gear, much nicer than mine....but I'm still undecided.

Thanks again,

Tucci

well if you still have the individual tracks then you have all the time in the world to get the mix right. seems getting good clean tracking is half or more of the battle in a home studio. at least in mine it is.

That was funny. Can't really offer anything beyond the other comments you received. Just letting you know I listened and I thought it was funny.

sounds like it was recoreded well enough (hard to judge at 64kbps)....mixing could use a few fader adjustments, but thats about it (everything in the mix is loud, some things need to play 2nd fiddle).......

the song and playing are all top notch.....

i remember "wait and see".....i much rather this new sound......

Gosh, from now on everytime I put on my thong for a BBQ or a seafood boil I`ll think of this song while I`m cooking! :) First of....cool number! 2nd, the bass was a little electro and dominant sounding, it was backed off in the last verse and vamp, sounded good and authentic. Horns were hittin all the right flavors. Drummer is a lunatic genious, I like his style, damned good. mix was mp3'ish but I bet the fresh tracks are clear as a bell. Seemed like the vocals were being leaned on a little hard by the music.
Fresh sound! :)

BBQ anthem, yes it is.

Holy cow, Gidge remembers Wait and See. Yes, things are different now. Once again, thanks for all of you who took a listen.

Gidge - thanks for saying the playing is top-notch, I guess I've heard it too many times and only notice the mistakes...but coming from a vet like you I'll take your word for it. Incidentally, at the time we tracked this tune the trumpet player was 17 and the rest of us were barely 20 or younger.

Toki - Glad you enjoyed. Yes, the drummer is a lunatic genius...very creative; and also incredibly loud, although you can't tell that as much from the mp3. He's a different drummer than the one on the Rain track. I've noted the bass comments too...thanks.

Erich, yeah I think you're right. It all starts with a clean track.

Tucci

I am hearing quite some clippings. Bad mp3 compression? The overall mix sounds a little dull, lacking some magical high end, I am guessing...

Recording issues aside, this tune is very entertaining. Definitely makes me wanna grab a beer and start dancing :)

AL

duh, just realised Cow song was at 64kbps...

The Rain certainly sounds alot better. Very good quality in fact. Awsome horn playing as well. The vocal sounds fine, but the writing makes it seem like you, the vocal, needs to take more breath in between lines tho.

Good work

AL

Tucci,

Great to see you around these parts again!! You were gone so long, what, were you in prison?

Anyway get these songs over to nowhereradio, I'm living in a van down by the lo-fi stream.

Home pages are daft, you ain't gonna sell any cd's, it's a free concert from now on!!

I want to hear you!!

GT

Tucci I think doc was referring to me.:eek: I've been out of the clinic for awhile, but fuck I'm back! Cow song - Cool song. Like said earlier, the mix is a but dull and could cetainly be cleaned up by someone willing to offer a little time and know-how. Drums need to be brought out! The guits could sit back in the mix a bit, me thinks. I love those fucking horns though!

Rain was a super cool song. Totally reminds me of Love, and I love Love! It's almost like I'm cruising LA in a pimped out low rider smoking a fat spliff with a couple of bodacious latino ho's! Nice!

Nowhereradio

Hey thanks for the welcome back GT.....no I wasn't in prison, I was just out of the loop...no computer, survival problems keeping me occupied, college. But now I've got a computer and some time and am enjoying more frequent visits to the board. I will look into Nowhereradio.com: I'm just now hearing about it. Why is it better than a homepage? I'll have to do some research and learn more about this nowhereradio...I notice that lots of folks here are using it.

A1A2 - Yes, I think I am going to have to get a 128kbps version of the Cow Song up one of these times. Thanks for the comments. Yes, I think I did need to anticipate my breaths more.

Rats - Much flattered by your comments thanks. A pimped out low-rider eh? Do they have those in Detroit as well as LA? You definitely don't see them up here.

Tucci

Thanks for not letting me miss that "Rain" tune.

A very funky simple and smooth sound.

I think you did well by getting this well tracked up front. Sure you can throw alot of stuff (and even know-how) at such an undertaking, but without a decent acoustic space to record in it's like pissing in the wind without a raincoat.

No you won't see many low-riders in Detroit, outside of maybe the Woodward drean cruise. Too many damn pot holes.

Back