Just a remix

You've listened to a lot of SRV haven't you? :D

I must have missed this the first time. Nice playing & nice singing. The mix seems a little sparse. I guess I would have liked to here more guitar...maybe doubled and panned & delayed a tad? I'm new to this so I don't know if I'm saying the right thing.

Good job!

Hey Doug. Yep, those drums sound better. Ride cymbal seems a littlle low compared to the snare. I know it's a guitar song, but that poor bass player must have been falling asleep! Keep it up!

Twist

dont know if somethings changed on my system or what ! but this is the third song in the last few days thats putting my meters in the red zone constantly:eek: and theres a lot of clipping anyone else getting this? hey it sounded ok when I turned it down a bunch.

peace
Bill

you got a lot of clarity on this mix. The guitar sounds and picking good, vocals clear, bass and drums up close to each other. The overall level was a little hot and a little clipping going on. Good feel. :)

hey Dough, liked this the first time around. What amp are you using twin/super something of that nature? Sounds great man good playing...kinda give me a "hendrix" sorta vibe. Vocals seemed a little low in spots, and i'm not hearing any bass...but i'm listening lofi so dont pay any attention to me. I like this man

The vocals are definitely low and the guitar is too hot at times. You really got an SRV feel out of some of those notes but there were a few empty spots in the mix. Maybe some reverb will help. Is that a Strat? At first I thought so but the more I listen something doesn;t sound quite right. Maybe an amp modeler? Anyway

Jagular
I've been struggling with small changes in panning, volume trying to get a live 3 piece sound. This has been my recent pet project, mostly it needed a resequncing of the drums, but that kept me working on it. I wanted it to be wide open but I'm still not quite getting the punch I want. My "mastering" tequniques are pretty straight forward. This has more verb in it than any other stuff done with my (not so) new setup. Thanks for listening.

twist
Ya my bass sequencing wasn't too imaginative in this one. Glad you think the drums are better, i guess every post hasn't been "the drums suck" so that's a good thing.

wfaraoni
Thanks for the info. My headohines wlll rattle a bit if soomethings too hot too. I'm going to make it a new test to run through a tune really loud to check it.

Toki987
Thanks alot, I think it turned out a little better than the first pass.

David
It's a mic'd Gibson Skylark as depicted here next to the Marshall
http://www3.sympatico.ca/doug_houghton/studio/babies.jpg
Thanks for checking it out again.

ashulman
I guess I should boost the vox a bit, they sound pretty loud here (well I'm not at home right now but...) Ya it's a strat. The "funny" sound might be me playing with various plugins. The amp may have been mic'd a llittle too close to the speaker edge.

I'm getting a transfer rate of 921 bytes/sec.. this is on a lightning fast cable modem..

I'll be back later..

only 1 hour and 47 minutes left! :eek:

:eek:

In 6 minutes it will be exactly 24 hours later..

that guitar sounds great...

vocals sound like they could use more compression to even out the levels.. there isn't much low end.. I think it could really use some.. the end cuts off.. It sounds like you were mainly concerned with the guitar I guess.. definitely an SRV/ Hendrixish vibe.. I think if you gave it some low end and evened out the vocal levels, it would help a lot.. nice playing..

B.SABBATH
Thanks for giving this another listen. The guitar had to carry most of the tune so it's presence was paramount. I also wanted some "lilt" in the chorus with everything working together. I got some wicked results oversaturating the mix, chorus sounded great, but it killed the tinsel on the guitar.

I've been mixing the bass (n)dbs lower than I hear it on the assumption that my shitty headphones have no bass response, I think I'm going to be a little more liberal with that fader. I've also done some creative resampling to get around some pitch issues concerning the bass, so I was downplaying it a bit. I recorded this so long ago I wasn't prepared to retrack it.

It seems the drums aren't a glaring prob like the first mix, they are still Keith Moon on ludes, but no one's said boo so I'm happy about that.

again, thanks Jamal.

Back