just a quick yes or no on PAs

Afrosnatcher

Hi. i know this will sound retarded but i just wanna check this before i work out how much i need to spend.

in a DECENT PA does the chain generally go

Mic -> Mixer -> power amp -> speakers?

cheers :D

Pretty much, but usually (in a "decent" system) you got:
Mic -> Snake/stagebox -> Mixer -> Crossover -> power amp -> mains

ragata said:

Mic -> Snake/stagebox -> Mixer -> EQ -> Crossover -> power amp -> mains

You forgot the EQ

ragata said:

deepwater said:

You forgot the EQ

Mic -> Snake/stagebox -> Mixer -> EQ -> Limiter -> Crossover -> power amps -> mains

You forgot the Limiter.

Don't want to blow those mains, man!

And you usually have a plurality of power amps.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

ragata said:

deepwater said:

You forgot the EQ

Light said:
Mic -> Snake/stagebox -> Mixer -> EQ -> Limiter -> Crossover -> power amps -> mains

You forgot the Limiter.

Don't want to blow those mains, man!

And you usually have a plurality of power amps.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

And of course, if you REALLY want to do it right, you have

Mic -> Stage Box -> Split Snake-> Signal A from the split goes to the monitor mixer, which has -> insert EQ's on all monitor busses -> monitor limiters -> monitor power amps -> monitors

and Signal B from the split goes to ->FOH mixer -> FOH inserts (usually compression or gates) -> back to the FOH mixer-> FOH effects -> FOH mixer returns -> output from the FOH mixer through the Matrix outputs to -> FOH Limiters -> FOH EQ's -> FOH delays -> various speakers, including mains, delays, front fills, and subs

If you want to be really picky about a really decent PA.

But if anybody wanted to answer the question, yes, you can go Mic -> mixer -> power amp -> speakers. It is common to have the power amps as a part of either the mixer or (even better) the speakers. Active speakers have all sorts of advantages, particularly in a low cost system, but they are also considerably more expensive. It is also common to have either inserts (typically dynamics such as compression or Gates) and/or effects (typically reverb or delays, though there are other possibilities).

So what you discribe is a minimum, if you are using it for a small crowd. The larger the audience, the more you might want to think about hireing a competent sound guy who can not only do the mix for you, but also design a system which will sound good.

You know, I really can be snarky sometimes.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Afrosnatcher said:
Hi. i know this will sound retarded but i just wanna check this before i work out how much i need to spend.

in a DECENT PA does the chain generally go

Mic -> Mixer -> power amp -> speakers?

cheers :D

Yes.

:cool: :cool:
:D

Yup, that works much better than shouting into the speakers and having it come out the mics. Much louder, too.

ok. cheers guys. i have the mixer so all i need now is power and speakers! im tinking of making my speakers with maplin speakers so the power amp would have to be bought!

Back