Juno-D 'Vs' Yamaha S03

kybdplr

I am trying to replace a Yamaha PSR520 only because its a portable and kinda tackie on an Apex next to my JV90 on stage, but The freaking piano sounds are awsome. Im looking for great piano and ep piano sounds that I no Yamaha has but I heard the Yam S03 doesnt have after touch?? and the feel of the keys are crappy. Is this true? Does the S03 have all the cool XG sounds too. Ive payed with the Juno D and its piano sounds are pretty tight but it seems to get beat up here too. I know these are only entry level boards but im just lookinging for raw sounds and a second tier board for live giging, dont need expandability or sequencing. I could get a used Triton Le for 6 or 7 hun but I heard the piano sounds suck ...mostly synth and dance stuff. Are there any other contenders in the $500 to $700 bucks

Entry level synth shoot out
Round one.....Ding!!!!!!

I appreciate the input in advance

James

Look for a used Roland XP30 - the piano sounds on the session board aren't that much worse than the ones on my Motif 6. It would certainly kick the S03 and Juno-D's ass in terms of sound quality. It also has aftertouch.

brzilian said:
Look for a used Roland XP30 - the piano sounds on the session board aren't that much worse than the ones on my Motif 6. It would certainly kick the S03 and Juno-D's ass in terms of sound quality. It also has aftertouch.
Thanks Brz... I just sold a JV880...cuz the piano sounds were to brite and there were way more synth & pads than usable sounds. Is the XP-30 using the same engine?

I think of all the boards listed here so far, I've found the S03 to have the nicest Piano. But again, it lacks aftertouch (Which seems to defeat the point of putting a nice piano sound). Alesis QS6 might be a good candidate for you. It has some really nice piano tones (and some killer organs and leads). And for money I think it has on of the nicest keyboard actions (responsiveness and feel), in the under-a-$1000 range (Unfortunately not a fan of the rubber-button feel though).

Atterion said:
I think of all the boards listed here so far, I've found the S03 to have the nicest Piano. But again, it lacks aftertouch (Which seems to defeat the point of putting a nice piano sound). Alesis QS6 might be a good candidate for you. It has some really nice piano tones (and some killer organs and leads). And for money I think it has on of the nicest keyboard actions (responsiveness and feel), in the under-a-$1000 range (Unfortunately not a fan of the rubber-button feel though).
Thanks Atterion,
I forgot to mention the Alesis SQL6.2 but had heard of its great sounds yet cheezy "PSR" Look. The Problem is that Guitar showcase or Guitar Center doesnt carry these to demo and Alesis's website has no audio demos at all on that board. The Roland RS50 is in my price range also, but I heard its more of a Dance sysnth..and what is the diff between the RS50 and Juno D anyway? I will only be playing leads and fills on my top teir board, the Yamaha S03 has aftertouch that will work through its midi ins I believe.

JAmes

kybdplr said:
Thanks Brz... I just sold a JV880...cuz the piano sounds were to brite and there were way more synth & pads than usable sounds. Is the XP-30 using the same engine?

Not quite - the XP30 is based off of the JV1080/2080 and XP50/60/80 sound engines. It already comes with the Session, Orchestral and Techno SR-JV Expansion Boards. The Session board is the one with the decent piano sounds.

Roland Juno Vs Yamaha S03 *Update)

Update on my desician. I was looking for a top teir board with meat & potatoes sounds.

Yamaha S03 sounded decent but the layout of the controls were just to horrable. Since I will be gigging with this new board, easy navagation what key.
The Juno-D does have some crispy sounds but I felt I was paying for all the apeggios and chord freezing functions. Same with the Roland RS50 or 70. The roland keyboard action on the RS series of Roland was very lighte an fisher pricy. However the Juno-D's keyboard action was tighter. Although some of the EP piano sounds were betther on the Roland my final decisian was the Alesis Ql6.2. Ive taken it to one rehursal and the band loved it. Nice piano's & piano pads and getting around was easy. I havent figured out how to get my bottom controller to control its midi in yet but a little digging around in the manual should do the trick. It also is my first Silver keyboard. It looks cool on top of my Roland JV90...and Apex stand...Looking cool on stage is as important as sounding good...: )

Back