Jumbo Acoustic

grimy paco

Looking to buy a jumbo acoustic not sure which one I should get?
I was looking at the Epiphone EJ200, the Takamine EG523SC and possibly the Washburn SJ45S.
I will be mainly using it for studio work so it really does not matter if it is electric or not that would end up just being a bonus.
I was looking at spending a max of aprox $550.00
Any feedback would be great but if at all possible experiences with either of the guitars would be better.

I bought an EJ200 a few years ago.

While it may not be the most awesome sounding acoustic guitar to the naked ear, it sounds like a million dollars when you record it.

It also sounds phenomenal if you drop in an LR Baggs Micro EQ preamp system... one of their cheaper models. I put the Micro EQ in mine and it sounds really awesome in a live setting. When I go out to an "open jam" everyone always asks to play it, even though they brought their own acoustic with them. :)

Check out the Yamaha CJ series. I've had one of these as my knock-around guitar for about 15 years, and it has held up ertty well. Nice sounding, good looks.

I'd second H2H on this. Unless you already have other acoustic guitars, it might be worth rethinking a jumbo for studio work. The Taylor 214 is a more versatile guitar.

My regular guitar is a Taylor 815C (a jumbo) and I love it. But... it does have limitations, and those generally pop up when it needs to be used for lots of different kinds of music. It does ok, and is a killer rhythm guitar for anything, but a smaller bodied guitar would be more versatile in the studio.

freshmattyp said:
Check out the Yamaha CJ series. I've had one of these as my knock-around guitar for about 15 years, and it has held up ertty well. Nice sounding, good looks.

You've got one too? What model? I have the Cj 838Sii, and have loved it. Great axe.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I already have the following I was just looking to add some spice to my recording by using either a jumbo or a classical flavor to some of my recordings.
I never use the same guitar twice when recording.
Usually for rythm I use either
MARTIN D28 (for deeper tones)
MARTIN DM (for brighter tones)
For my leads I use
GUILD GAD 50 (for deeper tones)
WASHBURN D10S (for brighter)
FENDER FR50CE RESONATOR (for some slide playing)

I will be adding a classical one day soon for some other leads but for now I was looking into a jumbo for mostly rythm playing.

desisions...desisions...desisions

Back