July Song (last of the month songs)

well.....I am not at work!!!

certainly not a cranky sound at the beginning.
whoa!!... you have changed!!!

Is this cranky??

cranky meets ELO, Yes and MIDI... out there, man.

Ok...around the 2 min mark when the drums come in, it starts to kick into gear. The intro was different. no other comments at this point. Nicely done, just not initially my cup of tea...but I liked it in a weird way.

Cranky...you have gotten dissonent?!
same comment on the vocals as my last post.

ok...back to the "different" stuff with the trickling pianos, gtrs...

I think the recording, everything was fairly ok. Not going to really nitpick on it.

Musically I found this kinda wandering, distracting and kinda unmusical at times. The music, as excellent as it was being played, wasn't saying anything to me. I am harping more on the music, which I realize is a preference thing, and not the mix issues.

so....
]
recording...9.5
music... not sure:confused:

this threw me for a loop. Sorry bro... I'm zapped for comments.

nice verbed screams at the end!!:) that I can relate to!!

Crankyone? Is that you? ;)

Instrumentally I love it (the part at 1:46 is awesome!). Vocally, you can improve a lot though. I can only hope you know what I mean.

It's friggin' warm out here, and my fan is blowing like there's no tomorrow so I can't comment on the mix. Sorry :)

Thanks for the in-depth there mix. By dissonant you ARE talking about that one riff there (or perhaps my vocals :D) ? This song may be a bit disjointed. This being the last one and all, so I may have been over-doing something so it can be messy but.. I liked doing this. It took long since I kept adding little things when I got some ideas and maybe it shows. I think I'll go make a straight ahead rock tune for a change :D just to simplify things. Thanks for the comments, you're right on various things (I've never heard Yes though... and VERY little ELO, I can't really remember)

I think you did this very well, and there is a lot of work that really shows. I am amazed at your abilities in doing/constructing stuff the way you do. But it does sound like a string of ideas.

by disonant, <---(I know that is spelled wrong), I mean there are some weird note combinations...that sometimes only BARELY "get by" because of what was played before and after them.

the singing has the "young" feel to it... good, but sounds young compared to your more "mature" sounding music.

Your straight ahead rock and roll blows the clinic away, but you have to do what YOU like to do.

Some cool ideas

I kinda agree with the previous posts. The music was cool, the vox could improve. i like the dissonance though. It reminded me of a king diamond balad, if king took some qualudes. The music is awesome, some wierdness in spots, but the vox could be better. They seemed kinda muddy to me. All in all some really cool ideas.

Gentle Giant meets XTC.

Very nice - musically interesting - loved it.

Must prepare for maximum Crank-age ;)

(ok... Chad puts on his :cool: ... sits down... presses "play"...)

What mic are you using for that acoustic? Sweet fingerpicking... and some interesting note-choices there... some open strings...

Here come the electrics... same mic on vox as on acoustic? The mic is the culprit (IMO) for the high noise floor...

Nice vox overdubs!! Cool subtle flute overdubs there...

It's getting a touch heavier... ahhhhhhh... nice... those familiar crank-ed sounds!! "I close my eyes...!" Very nice. SLuiCe-influence there, for the off-time, non 4/4 rhythms? :D

Huge huge huge guitars... then a mando? Or a mando-impression via guitar? Nice. Some PNO.

The main things that need attention seem to be: the noisy mic/pre combo on the acoustic in the first section... and the same with the vocs in that section... and some of the vocs could be tighter and more "on-note"... you've got a tendency to "fall off" the notes too quickly sometimes, IMO.

Beatles-like section here... with the harpsichord-like keys...

AAHHH! Rock-out, again. Really tasty. I love the chord changes and tensions.... like an all engulfing rock bath, here. Rough, but sweet!!

Chad

awesome!

love the totally compressed piano parts.. lots to take in on this one.. It's like the big finish to the 'month' tunes.. Vocals are getting better with every tune.. Still some stuff to work on but it really is a great piece.. I have no major complaints on this.. I'll have to spin it a few more times to take it all in.. I'll come back with more..

5 for now!

Back