J'station users...

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
I am aware of one of these second hand to be had for 199$ Canadian.

Firstly ; Is this a reasonable price?...I was looking on Ebay and the bids there are 75$ American, but the bidding isn't closed yet.

Secondly, is there anything I would be missing out on other than the warranty by buying second hand?

I was gonna buy a plasti-acoustic :D, but funds are short. My behringer amp/effects unit, does not seem to have that crunching sound I so desire, so I am also wondering if this is a step up or not. Another reason for me to get it is because the cheesy bass amp I'm using is flaky and shitty sounding, and I don't anything else to run the bass thru.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

By my figurin' today $199 Canadian = $147 real dollars. Which is within an expensive cup of coffee of what a whole slew of online retailers will sell you a new one for.

If you want to see what they go for an eBay, do a search on completed auctions.

On the unit: if you want to be critical, you might say it's a bit of a toy. On the other hand, it's a pretty fun toy. It does have bass settings, which are at least usable, to my ear. If your primary criterion is avoiding spending a lot of money, you could do a lot worse.

Wow ya thanks eh...I wasn't aware I could do completed searchs, obviously I don't e-bay much ;).

Most of those are going for 100$...real dollars :D ...or less.

I guess that answers the first part, but I'm still interested to hear anyones opinions on the unit itself, for future reference.

I love my J. I also have a little Fender Frontman 25R, and a Vox amp, which are nice too, but for recording the J is sweet.

Now, of course there will be a load of people saying modellers suck, and they are entitled to that opinion. I love mine. I have never used a POD or V-amp for comparison, but I get nice sound out of my J. Either direct on teh S/PDIF port, or turning cabinet emulation off and running it into one of my other amps as an FX unit. It has a really nice onboard compressor, nice effects, and some of the amp models sound really nice. They don't sound identical to what htey are modelling, but they sound really good . That is all I could want is a modeller that gives me a wide variety of tones and sounds.

If you get one, you must use the J-edit feature (hook it up via MIDI to your PC), and you can get really fine control of the parameters. Otherwise the editing of it from the buttons alone is very challenging and limiting. You also need a good MIDI foot controller for it so taht you can switch patches, turn on and off effects, tap tempo for delay, turn on comps or reverb etc. The Johnson floorboards are pricey, and in this (and only this ) I will swear by Behringer: the FCB1010. You can set that thing up to do anything you want, it is solid metal, very rugged, has two expression pedals, 10 switches and I also use it as an extension to my MIDI controller for organ/piano pedals, changing patches in my soft synths, triggering playback in SONAR, etc. It makes no sound (it is a midi controller) so that overcomes the Behringer name ....

I play an Epiphone Wildkat guitar, semi hollow body, 3/4 size archtop that is the same size and shape as a Les Paul, with P90 pickups and that guitar and the J-station Fender Bandmaster, Vox AC30, Marshall stacks and Fender Blackface sound really good.

A couple of tricks for gettng the best sound for recording. Use a y-cable into your guitar, run one line to a mixer, and send the aux out to an amp (any amp), send the other half of the Y-cable to the J-station. So, when you play, your guitar reacts to teh amplifier, which in turn fattens the tone of the signal going to the J (you can also get great feedback this way and record it). I also record simultaneously from the S/PDIF port and run the analog outs into my mixer---> soundcard and record the digital signal and the analog signal and mix them together to make a fatter sound. PLUS the dry guitar signal that I have sent to my mixer, I record that too, so I have an untreated guitar track recorded, so that I can reroute that back to any amp I want or back to the J to try different patches.

Guitar ----> Y cable ----> one end to the J-station
|___> one end to a mixer
J-station ---> S/PDIF to soundcard
|----> analog outs to mixer

Mixer----> 1 aux bus (L) of the clean guitar sound to amplifier just to get some sound in teh air for the guitar, other aux bus (R) to the soundcard to record a clean signal, MAIN sends to soundcard to record the J-station modified signal.

Basically I am recording three tracks from teh guitar: S/PDIF, treated analog, and clean analog, plus one clean send to an amp to make my guitar body react

Late at night I do not use the path to the amplifier....

J-station

Hi,
There was one for sale in the "Free ads" section of this website a few days ago.They were asking $60 US for it.
They may still have it. Look for the heading "Some stuff for sale cheap!!!"

Take care,
Tony

I'm in a rush so no deep analysis from me BUT:....

The J-Station is NOT a 'toy'....it's roughly equivalent to a POD
Also....it has three bass-amp models so it's one of the best for bass because of that.....and you can buy them all day long new from Musician's Friend for $149

OK well I was in a rush...

...and I bought it. However I went in with the knowledge of pricing, and knocked off 50$. So I got it for about the going rate.

I also tested out a Vamp2, and was rather unimpressed on the whole. Side by side, the J killed it really, maybe I didn't test it long enough, but the sounds in the J are much more to my liking.

No more twiddling the knobs on my behringer amp, for sure.

cstockdale,

Thanks for the in-depth post there. That's a pretty cool way of recording three layers like that, I'll be testing that out ;).

I am very happy to report that I already own an FCB 1010 foot controller, and yes it is a fraction of the cost, as well solidly made. Not all is bad with Behringer, but like I said, I guess I'm not so happy with the amp I bought from them.

I've been dabbling in MIDI a lot more lately, however the sole MIDI software I've got is n-track, and its not even really usable (always crashing). I'll be looking into a better MIDI proggy in the future.

NoiseFactory,

Hey thanks man, I never even thought of that! I checked that thread, I'm pretty sure it's gone though. I spend too much time in the cave, and miss out on good stuff like that I think :(. lol.

Once again thanks everybody, I must go plug in now :D.

Back