Journey - remix

Jags

OK, I've redone the verse vocals so that they sound a bit better and can be heard more easily nad made a few minor tweaks to the mix, including adding some depth to the snare and kick. Sorry it took longer than i excpected, I've been quite busy over the last week or so.

www.ampcast.com/journey (3mins 27 secs)

Jags

hey jags you might want to redo that link it only goes to the website not your page. i'll download it tonight and get back with you.

there was only one journey on the page.

As I am listening to it right now,on ns10ms, the first thing I notice is WOW, I dig the kick. It has wamth. Its fine as it is, but you might want to mess with 40-60 hz to add some thud. It might make it better it might no. It sounds good as it is.

The vox struck me as being a tad too low. I think a 1 to 2 db increase will be sufficient. The lead also sounded a bit thin. some eq should ix this.

The snare was good, but did not strike me as being outstanding.
something does not sound right to me. I think it might be the mp3 encoding . I like the space the snare is in though

WOW. backing vocals. they SOund great. That warmth again. I think you should pan them harder to give wider stereo depth to the piece.

Nice guitar. I think it can also be panned harder

Even on my fourth listen,I cant really comment on the bass on these monitors, but it does not sound bad to me.

I'm digging the song.

Keep it up.

Thanks a lot cyan, there's a lot of really helpful advice there. I replaced the old mix with the new one, hence there's only one journey... i hope it has been replaced anyway, but from what you've said I think it must have been.

The drums were created in some drum editor that I have in cubase VST, and I've never thought they sounded too good on any of my previous songs, so I did a bit of playing around. I basically increased the eq at 80hz a wee bit for the kick (which I have done before anyway, the plugin I'm using doesn't go as low as 40-60hx, I'll have a look what i can do) and I think it stands out to you because I added a bit of echo reverb which probably gives it the depth and warmth, I'll be using it from now on!

As for the snare, I think I'll need to have another look at it because you're right, it doesn't sound all that good, I think I added hall reverb or something similar and stuck with a poor compromise. Do you have any ideas as to what could improve it... I could just take off the reverb altogether and do something else, I'm not sure.

I'll bring the vocals up, the were much quieter than that before, so maybe I've just under compensated a bit. I take it you mean lead as in lead vocals? I'll have a wee play around...

I will follow your advice and pan the backing vocals more, I think I was just being a wee bit conservative when doing the first mix and I didn't really do anything about it the second time around.

Haha, it's probably just as well you can't comment on the bass, because it wasn't a bass, i used the same guitar as for the other guitar parts, just increasing the low frequencies to try and make it sound authentic... I really do need to invest in a bass one of these days!;)

Thanks again and I'm pleased you enjoyed it;)

Jags

Iliked the sound of the drums, but I didnt like the panning of them...maybe a little too wide....especially that hi hat......

the song itself was recorded very nicely......at times the guitar overwhelms the vocal a bit, when theloud part comes in.....maybe eq out some guitar in the range where the vocal is really strong.....

Get a bass..even a cheapo FenderSquierAffinity(if you can find on) would do u a better job...sell some blood or plasma if you need.....

Overall, great job.....

Thanks gidge, I'm not used to panning individual drum parts so I just put them where I roughly thought they should be. I'll have another look at them. I have been thinking of getting a bass for a while but I've just plumped for either using an acoustic or electric guitar to do the job. You're right, it's well overdue... second hand shops and exchange and marts beware (do they still buy kidneys in shanghai?;)).

Your compliments are well received, thanks for listening:).

Jags

Nice song, very creative. It built up nicely, I thought it could have used some bottom end during the buildup though, like a bass guitar, but I think that's been covered. Good work

Ray J

Thanks RayJ, i've increased the bass and some of the lower synth parts which has made it sound a bit cooler. Doesn't hide the fact that i didn't use a proper bass but it'll do for now;).

Jags

Vocals seem "alot' better on this mix jags. I liked the drums, and the build up. Get a bass:D . Good tune and great mood...nice work!

Thanks david, vocals have been a problem of mine since i've been doing this, not just because of my voice, but mainly to do with getting them to fit in the mix, you know, sound like they belong. i'm getting better though, as for my voice, well, you know what they say, practice makes perfect ( i wish;))!

Jags

Back