John Lennon tribute song

fkeefe

A few years ago I started to write a tribute song about John Lennon but had big problems with yhe lyrics so it remains incomplete. I really felt the lyric had to be right even if the melody was good. Anybody had similar problems?

Absolutely, I have a notebook full of single verses. They cover a wide range of feelings and topics. I guess, the big question is what do you do with the partial lyrics?

Of course

I'm sure that everyone (myself DEFINITELY included) has tons of half written songs, choruses without verses and vice versa, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Seems like we never get around to finishing them.

Here's one thing I've done. I keep a file on my computer with single lines, onesies and twosies that I've written and when I'm writing a song and get stuck, I open up that file to see if anything fits. A couple of times it's taken the song in a very nice direction that I didn't quite expect.

Like you, I started a John Lennon tribute song about a year ago that was based on a dream I had. I still haven't been able to finish that song because the lyrics just won't work themselves out. But they will . . . eventually.

Did you ever hear about how long it took John to write "In My Life?" Take SOME comfort. ;)

--Tax :D

how long did it take John to write In My Life?

Well he wrote "Two of Us" when he was like 15 1/2 so be discouraged! Be very discouraged and afraid!! hehe.

"Absolutely, I have a notebook full of single verses. They cover a wide range of feelings and topics. I guess, the big question is what do you do with the partial lyrics?" Sonic

Do what Lennon & McCartney did. Remember the line..."woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head..."
That was a snippit that Paul had but couldn't make a complete song out of. Try using these bits and pieces for a bridge, pre-chorus, etc.

Bob

Greetings,

I too have undertaken a song about John Lennon. In my case, I purposely set out to write and record the entire thing in one night... December 8th, 2000 (the 20th anniversary of the tragedy).

I'm pleased to say that the words pretty much came to me right when I needed them, because I met my goal! The only thing I added later was a french horn and some extra backing vocals.

You can check out the lyrics at the following website:

http://jason_rubero.tripod.com/mymusic/

And look for the song called 'Asphalt and Glasses'.

If e-mail can handle it, I'll even send you the mp3 file if you are curious to hear the final, CD
verison.

jsr

YOKO would be very proud of you all :D

-nave

oh btw, david bowie would just take all his single lines and throw them into a hat, and pick them out one by one, the order in which they came out of the hat was the order he kept them in for a song.....he claimed that somehow the lines would always wind up making sense in a strange way, even though they were just picked randomly and concluded that doing this allowed for his unconscious mind to steer the direction of a song....

Back