John Bonham

John recorded his drums in a huge hallway in a castle. All nat-u-ral!! They did compress the shit out of it, though!

PhilGood said:
John recorded his drums in a huge hallway in a castle. All nat-u-ral!! They did compress the shit out of it, though!

Yeah at Headley Grange. The engineer Andy? Johns used 2 mics on the kick. one up close & the other some distance away

His drums weren't always recorded in the hallway of Headly Grange. For the fourth album, 'When The Levee Breaks' was recorded in the hallway, which is what is responsible for that sound.

For the next album, Houses Of The Holy, the band conviened at Stargroves to record, which wasn't the same type of acoustic setting, as you can tell it is a much dryer record than most. All the tracks that were recorded in 1974 for Physical Graffiti were recorded at Headly Grange once again.

For 'When The Levee Breaks', they didn't mike his bass drum at all. Two stereo room mics were placed a couple floors above his kit, with a spiriling stairway that raps around, which his kit sat in the middle of, so the sound travelled up.

The tracks that are available for download are from the 'In Through The Out Door' sessions, which was recorded at Abbas Polar studios in Stockholm, Sweden. It was big reflective rooms which gave off a real live sound.

When I was a young 'x', with the long hair mustache and all, chicks would come up and ask me if *I* was Bonham. I'd kind of look around and hesitate and say my name is Jim or some such shit and then obviously walk away quickly looking nervously over my shoulder (laughing to myself).
Later people would ask if I was Bob Seger. Now that I'm 50 people come up to me and ask "hey aren't you that asshole that works down at the carwash?"

Anyway, I saw Zeppelin at the Forum in L.A. I'm thinking about 1972... just terrible sound, I felt ripped off... $5.00 down the drain.
"Hey Barney! Turn everything up to 10, that'll be cool!"

SwanSong said:
His drums weren't always recorded in the hallway of Headly Grange. For the fourth album, 'When The Levee Breaks' was recorded in the hallway, which is what is responsible for that sound.

For the next album, Houses Of The Holy, the band conviened at Stargroves to record, which wasn't the same type of acoustic setting, as you can tell it is a much dryer record than most. All the tracks that were recorded in 1974 for Physical Graffiti were recorded at Headly Grange once again.

For 'When The Levee Breaks', they didn't mike his bass drum at all. Two stereo room mics were placed a couple floors above his kit, with a spiriling stairway that raps around, which his kit sat in the middle of, so the sound travelled up.

The tracks that are available for download are from the 'In Through The Out Door' sessions, which was recorded at Abbas Polar studios in Stockholm, Sweden. It was big reflective rooms which gave off a real live sound.

I find it funny that the sound people always talk about is the one I hate. I can't stand the drum sound on "When the Levee Breaks". My favorite Bonzo drum sound is the sound on Zeppelin II, with Prescence and Physical Graffiti being tied for second (since this record contains different drumsounds from different sessions.)

Tim

x147902 said:
When I was a young 'x', with the long hair mustache and all, chicks would come up and ask me if *I* was Bonham. I'd kind of look around and hesitate and say my name is Jim or some such shit and then obviously walk away quickly looking nervously over my shoulder (laughing to myself).
Later people would ask if I was Bob Seger. Now that I'm 50 people come up to me and ask "hey aren't you that asshole that works down at the carwash?"

Anyway, I saw Zeppelin at the Forum in L.A. I'm thinking about 1972... just terrible sound, I felt ripped off... $5.00 down the drain.

Same kinda thing used to happen to me! When my hair was really long, people thought I was Lars Ulrich. We look almost identical. I was at the Whisky A-GoGo and caused quite a stir back in '94. Ever other person was stopping me asking for an autograph. Of course that was 11 years and 35 lbs ago...

I hate Lars!

x147902 said:

If you saw them at the Forum in '72 then thats what became the part of the triple cd set, "How The West Was Won", which is amazing to say the least. I also have a bootleg of this show, which was recorded from the audience, and it sounds fine, I think. The reason I like John Bonhams sound is because his drums sound like drums. Not carboard boxes. They resonate, and they are big and powerful. I can't stand drum muffling. I'm not trying to put anyone down here either. I personally think his drum sound is the greatest on 'Trampled Underfoot', which was recorded in the same spot 'When The Levee Breaks' was.

lol thats really cool, not quite what fool in the rain was meant to be, but its cool anyway!
im working on a track which uses n04 of the salad records mp3s as the drums track, the sound is just so fat

and on the subject of fool in the rain, how he does the ride bell triplets and keeps the beat going underneath, i will never know

Back