JoeMeek or M-Audio Pre?

Dracon

Hello:

I'm considering several options, and no I have not heard either the DMP3 or the ThreeQ pre-amp. However, between the DMP3 and the ThreeQ which one would you guys go for?

I've heard the TwinQ but not the above two. I've read that the circuitry are basically the same on the TwinQ and the ThreeQ. Anyway, just opionions on what you guys would go for.

I'll have a ThreeQ on the way shortly, and already have a M-Audio Duo
(has DMP2 pre's) for comparison. The DMP2 and DMP3 sound almost identical.

The DMP3 has much better headroom than the DMP2 BTW, with hotter mics.
Plus the DMP3 has full 48 volt phantom, and the DMP2/Duo does not.

Only listened one day to the ThreeQ, it sounded somewhat more detailed in the mid-range than the DMP's, and a bit smoother in the top range.

Makes sense because the Safe Sound P1 is another well regarded unit, and uses the same Burr Brown pre.

IMHO if you've got the budget, and just one channel is O.K., go for the Meek.
The compression/EQ section will be handy.

Chris

Well, the DMP3 can be had for $150 (roughly) at any e-store outfit (musiciansfriend, zzounds, sweetwater, etc) and the ThreeQ goes for $200 (roughly) at the same outfits. So what's $50 between friends?

I've used a MoblePre for about 8 months now with no complaints. Two 48V phantom popwered preamped channels from a USB connection and it's 5V supply. Plug in one cable and it's on.

I love it.

Birdhouse said:
I've used a MoblePre for about 8 months now with no complaints. Two 48V phantom popwered preamped channels from a USB connection and it's 5V supply. Plug in one cable and it's on.

I love it.
MoblePre?? Never heard of it, I'll go and check it out. What have you compared it to? What do you record?

The mobilePre isn't in the same class of preamps you are talking about. It's the bottom of the barrel. Don't waste your time.

Back