jimi hendrix's sound

ram_d

is there anybody know about what is the effect sound in the guitar solo part of Hendrix's song "are u experienced??" That is really cool...hope someone help!!!

HA HA HA!!!

thats a good one

man jimis voodoo was in his fingers, man....

but im sure if you got all vintage gear it would sound sorta like it........

....sorta

freak

I'm guessing you are referring to the backwards-sounding quality in the lead. If so, guess what? That's exactly what it is. I'm oversimplifying, but essentially they played the recorded tracks backward and he played the lead in the allotted break (the recorded tracks all sound backwards when you do this). When the tape is flipped and run forward again, you have a backward guitar track over the other "normal" tracks.

Nowadays you can achieve that effect with reverse reverbs and such, but it's not exactly the same, to my ears anyway. It's a great example of how musicians and engineers/producers had to experiment to achieve what were then new sounds. The ingenuity of the day paved the way for us home recorders to do lots of the stuff we do.

Someone with a better grasp of the technical aspect might be able to paint a clearer picture, but you get the general idea.

Back in the day, they actually took off the reels and put them on backwards, recorded the track, and then put them back on frontwards again. It took careful attention to detail, because when you flip over the tape on a 24 track machine all the track numbers are reversed, and for example track 10 would suddenly become track number 15.
Nowadays all you have to do is use the "reverse" function to flip the wave file backwards. Just about any editing software has this function. We also now have the convenience of being able to then move the clip around to get it to fit right where we want it. Back then you had to actually play it backwards in time with the rest of the music, and you couldn't hear how it came out until flipping the reels back over.
Aren't computers cool??!!

Other cool examples of backwards recording:

Tora Tora by EVH
Too many Hendrix songs to name
Good Times by DLR and Steve Vai
Roundabout has some backward bits if memory serves
Millions more....

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Thanks for clarifying the point about removing the reels, Aaron. That's what I meant to say but didn't quite make it.

Have you heard the King Crimson song "Walking on Air"? It's got some backward guitar that's very ethereal. Great song, on the THRAK album.

First off, that particular Hendrix song had NO 24 track anything on it.I doubt if the track count got above 8.

In an interview,one of the engineers on the first two Hendrix albums said that Jimi knew what the backwards tracks were going to sound like before he played em.

They simply used a mono recorder and flipped the tape and hand synced it to the basic tracks on the 4.

cavedog101 said:
First off, that particular Hendrix song had NO 24 track anything on it.I doubt if the track count got above 8.

In an interview,one of the engineers on the first two Hendrix albums said that Jimi knew what the backwards tracks were going to sound like before he played em.

They simply used a mono recorder and flipped the tape and hand synced it to the basic tracks on the 4.

You're right. I used the 24 track to illustrate the process of backwards recording, not as an historically accurate representation of what Hendrix might have used for that session.

I think the engineer that said that was doing his part to add to the Hendrix legend. I can believe it to a certain extent; that perhaps he wrote some specific notes to go with the material already recorded, and thus knew where the notes would fit and could anticipate the backwards effect, but I don't beleive he knew exactly how the myriad of noises, screeches, feedback, blues wailing and such would sound. He just played stuff, flipped it over and listened, and either liked it and kept it or disliked it and recorded a new take.

It's is pretty amazing to think about what some of those guys pulled off with the gear of the day. Don't even get me started about Sgt. Peppers....

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Actually, I don't think Hendrix ever got past 4 tracks.
But I agree with Aaron.......despite the myth, and the fact that I think he was one of the true genius guitar players.....I think that stuff was all trial and error.

I'm sure we've all met people in this life, who's brains were simply wired differently.Not to add to a 'mystique' but the interview was in one of the recording magazines and having known a couple of tortured genius', I think that anything is possible.One thing that was said(now i have to dig up the article), was there were no retakes on the majority of the 'backwards' tracks...it as simply something he 'heard'....I had a friend who played both left and right handed guitars and basses...either upside down or strung properly...there was no noticable change in his prowess either way..He had a bass(Gibson Eb-O) with a unique button kinda thing on the back and could flip it over in the middle of a song and play it with either hand.

As for Jimi.....who knows.As for track count...early Electric ladyland (the studio) had 16.The very early albums,Are you Experienced and Axis were mostly done at Olympic in London, and no they werent 8 track machines but were in fact 4...however the English engineers were very good at 'reducing' tracks to be able to add more and this is why I say the track 'count' wasnt more than 8 on Are You Experienced...certainly more than 4 however....

Gee, and I thought he got that backward sound from playing his guitar upside down.;) ;)

Hi,
To play "reverse" leads in a live situation, there is a pedal called the "Boomerang" (visit www.boomerangmusic.com for info).
I have a video of Paul Gilbert's side-project "The Electric Fence" playing quite a few Hendrix songs, including "Are You Experienced," and the pedal seems to work very well.

Take care,
Tony

I can beleive it. If you're a full time musician, and a genius like Jimi, you could have something phrased out and then backwards it onto tape. Guys like him knew their shit up and down, backwards ( :) ) and forwards.

Back