Jimi Hendrix vocal chain?

h kuhn

I have searched the archives but couldn't find anything. With what microphone/preamp was Jimi Hendrix' voice recorded on Electric Ladyland? An U47?
Thank you
Harald

I believe a U-67, actually. The current Soundelux U-99 is pretty close, though I believe they intend to get it closer to the original by revamping the model, as the U-95s was discontinued with the introduction of the more vintage-accurate E-47.

I don't know what exactly was used for pre's for Electric Lady Land sessions. I think it bounced around a few studios, which would change what was used. Keep in mind those were the days the pre's were all internal to the console, so the board at the studio would determine the pre's. Trident Studios had Trident consoles (A range in that era, I assume), Olympic had pre-Helios consoles (used on "Are You Experienced?"), and Helios was set up as a manufacturer because a bigwig at Island couldn't get bands to use their studio instead of Olympic. There's something called a Datamix that a Microsoft nerd has put in an attrocious excuse for a museum which was decommisioned from Electric Lady Studio A, but I know not much else about it. I would think it was incredibly likely some of the tracks were made through a Neve board with 1073 modules, which you can get originals of racked for an arm and a leg, of get repro's from Vintech or get the Great River MP-2 NV, which is inspired by the 1073, while doing it's own thing. Helios stuff is tough to find, and there is little marquee value compared to Neve stuff, or even Trident.

Not sure what sort of dynamics processing their was. Most time based effects were done with tape manipulation or room sound.

Bear

Bear,
thank you for your answer,
did he always use an u67 or are there other recordings where he used diferent mics? The thing with the reverb is clear, I would give a leg for a big room and an echo chamber...i hate reverb boxes (at least the ones i can afford)
greetings
Harald

Tape Op should be printing a DIY plate reverb project sometime in the future. The plate itself should run about 4' x 6', not including whatever housing or such. Welding will be required, but not necessarily soldering, and it's supposed to borrow other gear for some of the gain functions. If your good at DIY electronics, you could probably rig good dedicated stuff. It's not going to be like having Abbey Road to record in, but better than lots of verb in a box stuff.

Bear

Back