Jazz Shred ;-)

That is amazing.

One thing that sort of was annoying though was that it sure seemed like he was doing the same patterns over and over.

Sort of like, he had the chops, but not the creativity.

Seems all so common these days.

But that's just my take. Wish I could play jazz guitar.

That is truly amazing...but in an entirely cerebral way. absolutely no emotive content whatsoever.

Oh what the hell, I agree with the feel vs shred argument; it been done to death. I did (my own opinion) play some pretty fat ass jazz in my den this evening so hats off to the dude. Enven if tthat is not proper nomenclature (or spelling).

That is truly amazing...but in an entirely cerebral way. absolutely no emotive content whatsoever.

Just once I'd like to hear someone actually improvise on that song. You know, where you just let go of all the time you spent practicing and play something that is actually musical.

More to the point, he's doing the same thing Coltrane did for the weird bars (there's only really four bars that are anything other than ii-V-I's, and frankly ever decent Jazz musician on the planet can play ii-V's in their sleep). He takes this little four note phrase, for each of the chords in that section, and he just changes the order of those four notes. Not what I would call improvisation.

Actually, I did once hear a guy solo over that musically. He was one the sax player for Prince, and he did a weekly gig with a couple of my teachers (at least, on those occasions that the Purple Dude didn't call him in for a random session). They would play Giant Steps every now and then, but most of the time it just wasn't good. Then one night, the sax player just...played. I don't know what was up, but it was GOOD! That's the only time I've heard it not suck, though.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

That is amazing.

One thing that sort of was annoying though was that it sure seemed like he was doing the same patterns over and over.

Sort of like, he had the chops, but not the creativity.

I agree with your take on this. I pretty much liked how clean he was on the acoustic. I was watching him wishing I had his chops to add to my bag of tools. I also like the fact that on some of his other videos he uses a solid body electric with a little delay, sometimes even a little distortion. It just sounds nice to me to hear some jazz licks on a guitar that doesn't have flatwound strings and have the treble all rolled off.

Peace!

~Shawn

Hey Light:

maybe a sub V sub five thing? The 251 thing seperated by minor thirds rolls that tune along. Correct me if I am wrong as I ahve ahd a very shitty day. No offense intended to any. I probably wrong, as it may be Maj 3rds. don't remember. Be well all.

Hey Light:

maybe a sub V sub five thing? The 251 thing seperated by minor thirds rolls that tune along. Correct me if I am wrong as I ahve ahd a very shitty day. No offense intended to any. I probably wrong, as it may be Maj 3rds. don't remember. Be well all.

Yeah it's major 3rds.

Hey Light:

That's the weird bars.

Here, hold on a second.

|B D7 |G Bb7 |Eb |A-7 D7 |

|G Bb7|Eb F#7 |B |F-7 Bb7 |

|Eb |A-7 D7 |G |C#-7 F#7|

|B |F-7 Bb7 |Eb |C#-7 F#7||

Now, the ii-Vs are going through in major thirds, but they are still just ii-Vs and I've almost never heard anyone use phrases longer than the two measures of each ii-V. That's tough, but for anyone who can really improvise it's not that tough. It's measures 1-2 and 5-6 that most people complain about. Even at that, it's not that bad if you don't try to play it at 240 bpm - no one ever realizes how great of a ballad that song is, but when you have time to hear them the changes are really pretty.

It's also important to remember that Giant Steps was written as an exercise, not a song.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I dont care if it had feel or not, you know damm well I'd love to play that way:D if I could.
Gets all the chicks ya know;)

Mike

I dont care if it had feel or not, you know damm well I'd love to play that way:D if I could.
Gets all the chicks ya know;)

I'm always used to read all these interviews with hair band shredder guys, and they always said that after every show, the singer would be surrounded by women, and the guitar player would be surrounded by guys. You decide how you want to live your life, but I know what I'd rather be doing.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Hey light you right. Maj 3rds. giant steps not one of my favorite tunes. recent fav: Sonny Rollins, oh crap, can't remember the name got to find the cd. Aw shit too late at night to dig through the crap but I remember it relates to a carribean island or someting like that. Be well. thanks for the comment and all your previous posts which have helped me tremedously. (I still can't type wprtha crap) oh well. when I remember the tune I will comment as it sounds great.

Back