jazz group recording

zebra

hey guys, sup. how are you?

i just talked to a jazzgroup playing here in antwerp to do a recording. its my 1st time to record jazz, and im very excited to do this.
its drums/piano/sax and double bass.

to my idea i want to set up

piano : 2x mk105
bass : aea r92 ribbon
sax : brauner phantom
drums : km 184 (OH) nayant XY (behind drummer) and i got only a 421 for the kick (is that possible??) HH mk 102 cardroid. and i need to rent a 421 for the bottemsnare. do i need to closemic the toms?? for jazz i dont think so.

so i still got 1 mk102 left over, i was thinking to put it also on the dbl bass (bit higher). or can i use it for the snare? drums?

all feedback is welcome. greetz Peter

A lot depends upon the type of jazz you're actually talking about, but the needs on the drums are usually rather different from your average rock drum kit.

Nothing wrong with the 421 on the kick. Typically one would want a bit more bottom; you might consider renting a kick mic instead of a second 421 if you want more bottom if the band is more of a fusion jazz than a bop or classic jazz, but for those other jazz types where the back beat isn't as important, you gotta be kinda careful about the kick getting in the way of the double bass.

I wouldn't worry too much about the toms, as long as you have a quality, strong OH setup that gets them in the balance OK. But one thing to watch - again depending on the style of jazz - is the cymbals. Not only can the hi hat need to be dominant, but if you have a drummer who uses a lot of brushes, you're going to want to make sure you're getting those well (same with brushes on the snare.)

G.

yes a 421 will work fine on the kick, most jazz drummers don't want a killer kick sound, more blended in with the kit.

Most jazz I have done is mostly overheads and kick.

Good call Zebra, micing the double bass up the neck a bit as well as the bottom mic as this can be blended to give a bit more note definition.

Cheers

Alan.

Not only can the hi hat need to be dominant, but if you have a drummer who uses a lot of brushes, you're going to want to make sure you're getting those well (same with brushes on the snare.)

G.

thats really nice u mentioned it, you reaad my mind. what is your solution to it to make sure to get it captured. this drummer is very freestyle and might just use brushes somewhere in the middle of the song.

thats really nice u mentioned it, you reaad my mind. what is your solution to it to make sure to get it captured. this drummer is very freestyle and might just use brushes somewhere in the middle of the song.
It really comes down to the OH miking and making sure you're getting a good, robust capture of the kit.

You might want to consider augmenting the OHs with something a bit closer - though not extreme close miked like with rock drums. For example maybe a cardioid outside the hat pointed in towards the drummer, at a height somewhere between the hat and the snare, and mix that in if the drummer gets all quiet piano bar on you, pulling it out of the mix when he goes Gene Krupa nuts.

G.

your drum bleed is going to be a major issue on the bass if this is in one room.

your drum bleed is going to be an issue on the sax if this is in one room.

choose and position accordingly...

Mike

MANY TNX.

i still got a samson dinamik mic, samson S2.

can i use it to record the mic. does it make sense to take the head of like you can do with a sm 58? to make an SM57?

if yes, i can use it to record the snare.

Back