Jason Bittner Of Shadows Fall

fweyd

I love how his drums sound in War Within... snare and toms is full ... with really short decay.. his cymbals only has the good tones and not the bad ones and decays really fast... any idea on how to get this kind of sound ?? i already got the kick to sound clicky yet with low end.. but i cant get my cymbals to sound as good.. (I have A Customs and K Customs) my cymbals tend to resonate for a long time..

Jason uses Meinl cymbals. They just kind of sound like that. I had the privelege of recording him last month, the cymbals he uses decay quickly. Zildjian K and A series don't. I have to say that the sound of the cymbals in the room was a little harsh compared to the Zildjians.

so it just decays quickly... and not using a gate? or something ??

is his toms and snare and kick triggered ?? cause it sounds so perfect imo

No they aren't triggered. He told me that his engineer mics the top and bottom of each drum and has room mics. The drums are gated. Jason is just very consistent with how he hits the drums. It's very easy to make him sound good.

I've been to a clinic of his in September last year, 2 bad he's still so underated here in Europe, he deserves way more credit then just a crowd of 30 people. But the positive thing was that I just sat about 3 meters away while he was giving his clinic and after it he took the time to relax and just chat for awhile while drinking a beer...
Like Farview says, he's just really consistent on his hits, try to search for a studio video of him playing "The Light that Blinds" you'll see how tight and precise everything is.

I just brought up the session he played. Yup, his cymbals decay very fast. There is no production trick. I couldn't make them decay longer if I tried.

Back