Jam with a limited setup (but not that bad?) :)

Minism

Hello folks!

One more jam for your critique. Acoustic and electric guitar + percussion were recorded just with one condenser mic (did not have anything else useful at that moment...). But I think result is quite good :)

I was going for a fresh 70s sound here (e.g.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StV9lElcvAY).

Any constructive comments are very very welcome. Cheers!

Attachments

• New Toys' Game.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 22
I thought the bass sound was good.

The guitars have that "recorded in my bedroom" sound. If you have any reverb on things, whether it was there during tracking or put there later, I'd take it off for now. Get the basic tracking of the guitars right first. You might need to track in a different room, or different spot in the room, or use different mic placement.

The shaker sounded midi and sounded like it was in a different place from the rest of the instruments.

I think you're off to a decent start, you just need to learn and/or modify your tracking environment.

I agree to all of the stuff, but how can shaker sound 'midi' if it was actually recorded? :) I don't get this...

It was a one-shot thing (the tracking, I mean), so I am not planning to rerecord. I though it sounded pretty cool and I wanted to challenge myself and see whether I can make the very 'roomy' recording good.

Thanks!

I agree to all of the stuff, but how can shaker sound 'midi' if it was actually recorded? :) I don't get this...

It just sounded that way to me. Everything else had a little cloudiness to it, but the shaker was clear - almost to the point of being sizzly. So maybe it was the contrast between those two things that made it feel that way to me.

shaker sounded ok to me. listening on work buds. i'd try panning some of the guitars around a bit - right now it seems that they are all dead-center. some separation would be nice.

it basically sounds like i am walking into a bar and there is a band warming up way in the back. if that's what you're going for, you got it

The acoustic seems larger than life. Did you do any tricks with that? Cool song, mix wise the bass was a bit boomy in my headphones. I wonder if it might help the song to separate the instruments a bit with eq or panning?

Thanks for all the good comments! It is quite surprising to hear that a jam recorded with one cheap condenser is not too bad of a track :)

To everyone suggesting separation: since guitars have been recorded together on a mono recording and they take up similar frequencies and part of the stereo field, I don't think there is a way to separate them.

easlern: acoustic is a part of the mono recording of the jam that I did with my friends (two guitars + percussion). Budget condenser was pushed back around one meter in an untreated room. So the recording is really roomy. I eq'ed this track with a low pass around 100 Hz and low shelf of -8Db at around 7 kHz (so getting 'vintage' here?..) + removed some boomy frequencies and -8Db of around 3.2 kHz which made recording sound thin. Then I ran this through PS22 XSplit (waves) with 1.00 spread, 1000 freq and 20.00 delay. And then a generous amount of reverb (ValhallaVintageVerb) - concert hall mode, 22% wet, 4s decay, 70s colour, a bit of modulation, 60% early and 100% late diffractions, 160 Hz and 8000 Hz cuts. Wasn't especially going for 'larger than life' sound, just I thought this works...

Anyway, you can see the new version here:

https://soundcloud.com/mminism/new-toys-game-jam

Back