"Jam Room" mics

Polaris20

Hello,

I need two mics, for stereo recording into a laptop, for recording jam sessions. Nothing fancy enough to actually mic everything up individually, but rather something to throw up for some impromptu jamming.

I was looking at the M-Audio Microtrack, but then I'm like, why would I do that when I could get a firewire interface for half of the price, and use my laptop? I already have a second license for Tracktion, so I'd rather go that route.

This is nothing pro, just for fun and documentation. Ideas? Thanks!!!

I was thinking of getting a matched set of 603's anyway for acoustic stereo miking. I was afraid the high sound levels would mess up the small diaphragm condensers. I am assuming by your post that this is not the case?

for mic'ing a room, they'll be fine.

i'm not sure what there max spl is, but you need not really worry unless you're close mic'ing drums or loud git amps.

If balance isn't a concern, why not an omni-room mic? There's lots to choose from. Consider if the Beri ECM8000 would suit you're need...they're really cheep and easy to find...just a thought

Jacob

I second the omnis suggestion. just throw it in the middle of the room, and everyone will be picked up instead of as with the directional mics...ADK 51Tls are good...studio projects c4 pair is also good.

trb

I've used a pair of PZM mics attached to the ceiling over the jam area - one on each side of the drum mic - somewhat equidistant between drums and rest of equipment and it works great. unobtrusive, excellent coverage, picks up all instruments, mics, etc... I had an acoustic tile between a 1/4" plywood 16" x 16" and the ceiling (so it fit into the hanging ceiling...) and mount the mic right on the plywood. most people had no idea they were being recorded and everything came through really clear and full (assuming we all had a good room mix going...)

Back