J-Station, POD, or V-Amp

elevate

I'm trying to figure out which is the best of these three. I'm not a guitarist, so I'm thinking that in my ignorance each will sound pretty good. Right now I'm leaning towards the J-Station because the software looks pretty nice and it's pretty cheap. Opinions?

I can't tell if you'll be using this unit for guitar or not, but if so, I'll make a few comments from a studio guitarist's perspective. I've been using a J-Station for a year (mostly in studio), and have been very happy with the results, overall. I've had great luck producing nearly any type of tone with my various electric guitars
(e.g., Guild Starfire 4 semi-hollow, Fender double-neck slide) although you should know that producing the best tones can take some "editing" time, using the manual at first. Fortunately, the manual is written well and laid out for quick/easy skimming.
On the down side, and maybe it's typical of such units, I haven't had much luck putting acoustic instruments, such as an acoustic guitar through it. The sound is simply too "electric" for my tastes, with a bit of raspy edge. Thus, I gladly use the J-Station for electric parts and make other arrangements for my acoustic tracks.

I haven't tried the other units you mentioned, but I can say that
spending $150 for the J-Station was a wise decision for me. Good luck, whichever way you go.

J.

I have both a POD and a J-Station. Both units do a good job. Like you I'm not a guitar player (although I do have some decent guitar chops) and I was in search of good tone with minimum effort.

I like the POD better for more distorted tones (like an SG rock sound) and I like the J-Station more for cleaner tones - like a Tele country tone). The effects on the J seem better than the POD.
You can't go worng with either unit.

I have never used a V-Amp so I have no opinion.

Do a search - there have been dozens of discussions on this site related to the whole POD vs. J-Station vs. V-Amp vs. Digitech, vs. Sans Amp, etc etc etc.

MF has the Digitech Genesis 3 for $199 (used to be $349) and that one smokes the POD easily, and is better than the J-Station too.
The POD had a too dirty/muddy feeling to me, the dynamics sucked, but the Soldano pre-amp (modern higain) IS cool.
The V-amp2 is nice, but sounds a tad artificial.
The J-station is way better than the POD, and has the advantage of having better effects and a digital output.

The Genesis 3 is even better than the J-Station, especially in the cleaner sounds. Ofcourse, the effects section IS VERY comprehensive, the warp-function is cool too.
The POD and V-Amp use 18 or 20bit AD/DA converters, whereas the J-Station and Genesis 3 use 24bits. This IS noticable in terms of response and dynamics.

If you HAVE money to spend, go with a Sansamp PSA-1, it's a 19" unit, with no effects, but boy, they sound 'tubey'! Ask Lopp.

i sat in Guitar Center with the J-Station and POD head to head...i couldnt find a reason to get the POD and this was when they were the same price...now the J-Station is $149 its a no-brainer......

I have the DG Stomp cos it's the only one available here for a reasonable price!

anyway, I am pretty happy with it.... great tone. :)

I`ve been using the pod 4 nearly a year and a half now and the results have been good...im a guitar player and the sounds i have been getting sound great on my FD8....ihave`nt tried much else thru except an acoustic and that has been fine also.......

If ya want the best ya gotta pay for it. The POD modeller in your list. A 150 dollar J-Station won't keep up. If the POD sounds too dirty to you, then turn down the Drive control. The lack of a digital out on the POD hasn't been a problem since when I go down to the club and jam, usually the house mixers aren't using SPDIF's as inputs. And plugging directly into my Mackie board for further tweaking with the POD is more important to me for sound than a SPDIF line out is for me.
I've been playing guitar for years, I've played everything twice and plugged into a truckload of pedals and processors.
The effects on the POD are good side benefits, but not the selling point. The AMp modelling is top notch in the POD, simply the best you can get other than the real things. But who has access to over 32 different amps at 3am when inspiration strikes? Now I do.
I don't understand all the "the clean tones suck" comments. I plug my strat intot he POD witha clean Vox AC-30 setting, color it up, lay down some tracks and it sounds damn sweet.

Mind you, if your editing the POD on cheap headphones of course it will sound bad. A decent set of moniters, a good ear, a GOOD GUITAR- Not some Japanese lightning bolt from 1982, some time and using the Sound DIver software to edit with, you can come up with some Killer tones. Clean and Dirty.

And even if your not using it to record with, through a good house PA system, a POD will be a lifesaver instead of hauling around your marshall stacks to the local jam sessions with.
I'm a musician first, home recorder second. i don't care how good you are in your bedroom plugged into a harmonizer, I like to go the the local jams and cut heads with ym 6 string, and a POD has been some of my main weaponry....it will deliver in more than just a recording application. You can take this puppy on tour. I've seen a lot more Line 6 Pod's in the touring arsenal's of the big boys than I have J-Stations. A POD is more rugged and built solidly, you'd have to go out fo your way to hurt it.

Not to say thes eothers ones suck, Im not syaing that. for there price range there good. but if you want the best, spend the extra and get a POD. You'll be glad you did. The clean tones rock, The dirty tones rock, and the effects are there when your writing a song and need coloring, you got it all in one bang with no extra accessories or adapters to mees with. It makes for a real clean portable recording set up at 3am when inspirtaion strikes,

and its all about inpiration isn't it?

Ace2000 said:
.I don't understand all the "the clean tones suck" comments. I plug my strat intot he POD witha clean Vox AC-30 setting, color it up, lay down some tracks and it sounds damn sweet.
I think we are all talking about CRYSTAL CLEAR clean sounds, like a Fender Twin with minimal gain, or a Roland JC-120. An AC30 sounds very nice, but never totally crystal clear clean.

Ace2000 said:
.Mind you, if your editing the POD on cheap headphones of course it will sound bad. A decent set of moniters, a good ear, a GOOD GUITAR- Not some Japanese lightning bolt from 1982, some time and using the Sound DIver software to edit with, you can come up with some Killer tones. Clean and Dirty.
Hmm, let's see:
-Sennheiser HD265 Lineair headphones ($150)
-Ibanez S540 FM TTS guitar ($1100)
-M Audio Studiophiles SP-8B monitors ($600)

Not the most sucky signal chain, I'd say... :p
If you're happy with your POD, be happy. I'm merely saying, if you buy the POD without having a/b-ed it vs. the Genesis 3, you might regret it later, once you figure out that after endless tweaking (which I have done on 3 different occasions and locations) the POD never gets REALLY clean, and the effects are so-so.
YMMV....

Yes, but a lot of Digitech's effects are, to my ears anyway, have usually been cheesy sounding anyway.
Aside from the Multi-Tap delay Steve Morse had a hand in developing with them years ago, I have never been a big fan of Digitech effects. I don't see why I'd be buying an amp modeller for sellar Delay effects anyway. I have all that in other units I can put in the chain. SO I guess the question becomes, are we aiming to achieve amp simulations, or are we buying delay units??? I bought the POD for it's amp modelling,

As far as CRYSTAL CLEAR sounds, I get them with the POD.
Anyone who can't achieve Crystal clear sounds with the POD, simply doesnt know how to use it. Finding the right combo of AMP and Cab, then tweaking from there will achieve clean sounds. Sure it doesn't happen right away, it takes some tweaking, but attention to tone is important, I always mic an amp and use real amps in my recordings too, but the POD is a damn great unit.

I'm happy with mine, it's been a real lifesaver as far as alate night recording, late night inspiration, and doing local live jams all over town without packing a hug amp everywhere.....

But hey, I'll plug into ANYTHING and try to get sounds, so if I had the G3, I'm sure I'd fiind it usefull in my arsenal of gear (mostly guitar stuff rather than studio gear or boards)

but hey, Im happy with my POD. three thumbs up.

Pod user

Something else to consider on the POD. On most presets the DRIVE is turned on. If you do not turn this off you can not get it super clean. I am not talking about turning the knob down, you have to hold down the TAP button and then turn the drive knob below 12 O'clock, this turns off the drive Booster function. Also, when I first got my POD, I was very unhappy. Honestly, the presets are terrible. But then I read the book, spent some time tweaking, and BOOM! there it was. It never ceasees to amaze me the tones I can get out of this thing.................Just some info for next time you go play with one. Use manual mode, forget the presets.

Brian

As far as CRYSTAL CLEAR sounds, I get them with the POD.
Anyone who can't achieve Crystal clear sounds with the POD, simply doesnt know how to use it. Finding the right combo of AMP and Cab, then tweaking from there will achieve clean sounds. Sure it doesn't happen right away, it takes some tweaking, but attention to tone is important, I always mic an amp and use real amps in my recordings too, but the POD is a damn great unit.

No. It only pretends to sound good for anything remotely clean. For clean lead it pulls it off, for rhythm it's like sandpaper.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:

No. It only pretends to sound good for anything remotely clean. For clean lead it pulls it off, for rhythm it's like sandpaper.

Slackmaster 2000
Amen to that! :)

Oh, Brian, believe me, I tweaked the POD in every way, using all the TAP-button's sub-functions (like Drive, Boost and Presence).
I've said before, I really like the POD's Soldano (Mod Hi Gain) sim, but the clean sounds don't cut it, compared to the J-Station and Genesis 3.

Back