I've got no GROUND to stand on......

mrbigputts

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but this is where Im gonna put it. I just bought a new house and I have a wiring question. The house was built in 1962 before the 3 wire romex came out. So basicly ive got no grounded outlets in my house. This is a problem that must be fixed very soon. The last thing I wanna do is run all my studio gear on ungrounded outlets. The only way I can think of to ground those outlets is to run a seperate grounding wire (outside) then tie the ground from all of the outletts in the house to that. Does anybody know of an easier way? Thanks

I had the same problem. I rewired the room I put my studio in with grounded outlets and romex, to a new sub panel with dedicated circuits to the console and outlets in the studio, all star grounded. It was a pain in the ass but well worth the effort.

Thanks Track Rat......thats probably what Im gonna end up doing as well. Right now the entire room that my studio is in is all on one breaker. That in its self could cause me some problems. Prolly gonna have to just rewire the whole damn thing.

I have the same problem with where I live. But here is my temporary Mickey Mouse solution if you have a cable modem. If you have cable broadband, it should be grounded. And when you plug your cable modem into your surge protector, it should show if your grounded or not. My cable is grounded, so I plug most of my PC related hardware into my surge protector that the modem is plugged into. Like I said, it's Mickey Mouse but will work for now.

c7sus said:
That is nowhere near a valid ground. If your power supply ever shorts dead to ground your computer will fry with it.
Oh Man. C7 is right on the money on this one. That's NO WHERE near an effective ground. That could also set up a ground loop and while not dangerous, it's annoying as hell.

What's a ground loop ? My system has been perfectly quiet so far. No hum . Maybe I'm just lucky so far. Anyway's I just thought the guy was desperate for a temporary fix so I thought a mickey mouse ground was better than no ground at all. I once had my apc surge protector tested by a rambunctious kid and I know the cable ground was good enough to let my apc surge protector trip itself off and protect all my equipment. Otherwise if he wants to do it by code, he may have to go under his home, then drill up under and send a ground wire's down from all his outlets through the hole's. Then tie in all the ground wire's together and connect to a cold water pipe and also to a ground rod . Anyways keep on jammin.

Last edited:
Back