It's rough out there

A short article, but to the point. What a mess.

That's a bummer of a read...
I am a happy Spotify premium user, but I'm sad that it seems to make things harder for content creators/musicians.

I'm not a "streamer", so no Spotify, no Apple Music, Pandora, or Amazon. Likewise, no Paramount+, Peacock, Netflix, Apple TV etc.

The only streaming of video that I use is Youtube and those are not movies. Some is music, but if I stream 2 songs a day, that's a lot. Usually it's to hear something someone else has suggested. If I want the music by a particular artist, I generally get a CD if possible, although I have gotten CD downloads from Joe Bonamassa, Govt Mule, Nataly Dawn and a few others. I don't know the specifics of what each streaming service pays out to artists, but if Spotify isn't paying you for your content, there's a solution.... take your music off that platform and use the ones who do pay. From what I've heard, if you have 25 million views, Youtube pays a lot more than £‎20 Better to get a few thousand vs 20 pounds.

I try to go to a few concerts, but at $75 to $100 a pop, they are getting fewer per year. I have heard comments from a few name bands who say that they now make a lot more from touring than from music sales. That's a switch from 30-40 years ago, when tickets were 1/10th the price but album sales per much higher.

Back