"Its my first time"

haystacker99and

This is my first time in the mixing clinic...I thought I'd post a link with a project ive been working on. It`s a friend of mine and his band, I recorded them for 6 bucks (a pack of cigs) - His vocals are terrible and he knows it, but anyways please give me some feedback as I have never got any from anyone else who records.
There is a lot of reverb in the mix....way too much for my liking but he sat there with me and said more more more more more....
Like I said feedback would be mean a lot to me - let me know what you think it needs.
Listen to PS (electric) thats the only full band song there...the others are scratch tracks he did.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=454573

I only listened to PS (electric) because my headphones are busted, and it's a hassle to hold the left earpiece up to listen critically, but here's my feedback on that one.

It's pretty good. I like the bass sound and the bouncy rhythm.

The vocals got a little iffy at times. I'd definitely recommend that you re-track those and make sure he hits all the right notes.

As to the reverb, for the most part it sounds pretty good actually. The vocals could probably stand a little more, but they're not bad as they are. The lead guitar has a LOT of reverb, which makes it sound very distant, but it still sounds pretty cool. It still rests comfortably in the mix.

I'd experiment with the reverb levels on lead and vocals. See what sounds cool, but don't feel obligated to change them from what they are now.

The vocals do get iffy though...it was hard because Id be on like the 15th take and he would still be flat or sharp or just not sound good so I just had to settle for a lot of the track.

Not bad. Love the bass. The vocals aren't that bad. Bad vocals belong in this kind of music. The rhythm guitars are kinda washy and loud. Maybe drop em down a little and not pan them so hard. The toms jump out a bit too much.

Back