It's been a while

F_cksia

But I'm back on the site again :) Latest project I'm working on is a song for a movie soundtrack, it's going to be under the ending credits and to be used for promotion. I played drums, bass and keys in this one.

Anyway, first mix:
www.soundclick.com/fermatostudio

- FIRST TEN SECONDS IS SILENCE, sorry for that
- I'm worried about: is it too bright? Is the bass too loud? Did I drown everything too much in reverb? How's the lead guitar tone? Are there too much instruments going on at the end?

Thanks for the listen!!

Best, Maarten

This is very nice. My answers to your questions:

I don't think it's too bright. (Though I am hearing a touch of sibilance in her vocal; if you tamed that it might know down some of the brightness you're hearing--which is mostly in the vox)

The bass might be a bit too loud. I'd try a mix with it down a bit and see how it sits.

Doesn't sound like too much reverb to me

The lead guitar tone could be a bit thicker; it's a little shrill right now

No, I don't think there's too much going on in the end.

I feel like I'm really picking it apart--but you asked specific questions, so I'm trying to address those. I think you did a great job with this. Good luck with the project!

Thanks! That's indeed exactly the things I was worried about so thanks a lot for your respone and the compliment. Gives me some courage to move on. Merci bien!

By the way, you didn't ask about this, but it's worth a comment: you got a really nice tone on the acoustic guitars--strumming and picking. Very nice to listen to!

I never had a 414, but they advertise it to sound really similar. The vocal is a mix of the 214 and Rode NT1a, the latter one causing the sibilance I guess. Also it's been used as a room mic for the drums. Yesterday I tried some electric guitar with it, no succes so far (very harsh, could be the placement), and bass (excellent choice, to my surprise). Versatile is the key word here, but I'm mostly convinced of it on acoustic guits and vocals. Keep you posted!

Cool song.

The picked guitar at the begining has a real resonance around 250hz or so.

At 1:23 when a strummed guitar and a bongo(?) come in on the left it could use a really quick fade in on that first hit/attack. Just to soften the leading edge a little. You might try a longer fade just to see. It grabbed my attention in a not to good way as is.

The bass guitar could use some trimming up.

There seems to be some stacking of frequencies in parts around 250hz. It sounds like the Bass and the vocals are contributing. It muddies up the vocals in parts. It could be partialy due to the verb, but to me the verb level is fine and I would attack the bass first by pulling some around 250 and running a high pass at about 70hz or so if you have not already. Then I would look at just a minor tweek on the vox pulling a bit of 250 or there abouts.
I'm sure you have the vox hi-passed, but if not I would.
I think the strummed guitars sound great! The plucked accoustic at the begining has a bad 250hz issue that I don't hear again in the song.

The distorted lead sounds pretty good. It can get a bit harsh in there but could likely be taken care of with some dynamic control to knock the tops off a bit. Might have to pull a hair around 3k.

The vocals in general sound really good. An example of that 250hz boxy sound on the vocals would be pretty near the end. I would not push the 5k any more on the vox. I think its good as is.

I don't think the song gets too busy ever.

I think the performances sound great. The song sounds pretty good and will really improve with a few easy fixes.

What movie is it supposed to go in, if I may ask?

Good luck.

F.S.

This song sound really cool. :)

The vox are so cool. Is she English or just nicely enunciating?

The guitars are very nice and bright. Rich. Not dull like a Yamaha. Very nice.

The bass does sound a little high for this kind of song. Recommend two things based on type of song:
1 - Make is thinner in EQ and leave the volume at the current. So take out the boomy metal sound of the bass.
2 - Lower the bass vol. by 5 db. But ride the fader up behind that guitar solo which rocks.

Again, this sounds like a really cool song. The drums + keys sound really cool.

wow

Holy smokes haha that sounds fantastic loving the chord prog. and that c214 sounds fantastic on the acoustic. Her voice is golden!

Uhm, it's in fact a Yamaha ;) Really, one of those jumbo-things. Fresh strings do make a big change!

Dude, my Yamaha doesn't sound anything like that! Also the action is very high on it. So playing acoustic leads is very very different. Mostly impossible . :D

I think is wonderful. I agree on the 250hz thingy on the guitar at first. Try to mellow that a bit. I would also take back on the bass about 150 to 200hz or so to give it a little bit more definition and to open a little space. Other than that, It's great!

Great song! not much to add to the previous comments. I think the reverb is good -- puts a nice matte finish on the song. I like the "um" at the very end - sort of humanized it for me :)

Back