Its all gone.

I've said this before too, but I'd take a mid 70's receiver with heavy iron and discrete component power supply over anything made today. It may be another one of those 'analog warmth' things that somebody is going to flame me over, but I'm convinced those power supplies do make a difference in headroom and hence distortion figures. Same goes for the Tascam boards. My model 5 for instance, big transformer. Also transformer coupled pre's. As far as a main board goes, I'd rather upgrade the 1458 opamps on a "dinosaur" with clean +/- 15v or higher rails, then trust something powered by a wall wart.

I've said this before too, but I'd take a mid 70's receiver with heavy iron and discrete component power supply over anything made today. It may be another one of those 'analog warmth' things that somebody is going to flame me over, but I'm convinced those power supplies do make a difference in headroom and hence distortion figures. Same goes for the Tascam boards. My model 5 for instance, big transformer. Also transformer coupled pre's. As far as a main board goes, I'd rather upgrade the 1458 opamps on a "dinosaur" with clean +/- 15v or higher rails, then trust something powered by a wall wart.

I've got one of those receivers. I forget what make it is, but I love the blue light and the big heavy dial for the tuner. Smooth spinning.

Great setup

I have hose same two decks, an m-35, and KRK Rockit 8's. I did some great sounding stuff with those. I still use the 22-2, but now with a TSR-8 and a Mackie 16-8. I will never sell my 22-4. It's a TEAC branded one.

You made me come to my senses..(if I had any to begine with(

It's All Gone
:eek::eek::eek:

Shades of Tascam!!! I saw the heading in the list of threads at the same time I was looking at my "studio to do" list, as I was seriously contemplating my future decisions concerning my non-compromising journey towards "downsizing"....before certain death ensues:eek:....at some point.

And then I clicked on your thread. WHEEEEEEEEW!! Visons of still burning ashes had suddenly flooded my neurons..and I thought to myself..WHAT, lord forbid, would I do withOUT my studio.........that is...my. studio"TO DO LIST!!" Visions of fast approaching old age retirement , with no studio whatsoever take over. As I read further, ghosts of sitting in front of a 4trk setup that was similar filled the room. What fun. What adventures. What memories..friends, beer, an SM-57 or two, guitars, cheap mics, ...and the grandaddy of all...the CORDBALL!!! It became a standing joke..something to look forward to..a night of tomfoolery, making and recording music, friendship, drinking a cold one or two ...all filed under...CORDBALL.

And then it hit me...like a proverbial rock. The "cordball" had been a thorn in my side for over 2 decades. :rolleyes: As "I" was the "recordist"..and "we" were the muses', it fell in my lap to wear 4 or 5 hats at once..the assistant engineer, the engineer, the host, the arranger, the spouses "honeydothis" takercareof right now guy, and then try to be the play/sing/have fun guy. Cordball enters the room. As we setup, always temporarily in rented houses, we watch as the cordball grows. Each move of the mic, patching this to that, stepping over this to get that, forgetting what is patched to what, trying to find the pulled plug after somebody trips on cable causing spilled beer on a mixer or your friends ears get fried while plugging in headphones. All the while the cordball is getting bigger and bigger. All the while having visions of how to subdue this beast from the scenario...so I can have more fun.

4 tracks enter the picture. Hmmm, along comes mixer#2. Bigger. Badder. More channnels/group outs. Along comes FX. Along comes a multitrack..then two...then a mastering machine..then more mics etc...of which all translated to a BIGGER cordball:eek::rolleyes: The solution became the journey and the destination. Digital enters. More cords. 32chan mixer enters. More cords Homeownership becomes mandatory. So does studio building. More cords. LOTS of them. Mics, 32 tracks 8buss/64channels/in-32 with directs +groups+Aux+Midi+fx+processors+2 16 chan multitrak R2R's/mastering R2R/ 4 & 2 trk R2R, ...whew.:yawn: timecode+Midizer+amps+speakers+headphones+power+lighting+displays+ digital+cue/playback system+etc= MORE FUCKING CORDS=
View attachment 71478

..you got it...20 fucking pages of ...TO DO!!!

Unfortunately, time is not on hold.

POOOOOF! Back to reality..

Cool beck. You've given me hope again.:)

I've got one of those receivers. I forget what make it is, but I love the blue light and the big heavy dial for the tuner. Smooth spinning.
Me too. I'll never sell it. A big ole Sansui 8080db. Love it.

btw, I had to resort to this just to sort it all...and it STILL ain't done. Shades of cordball psychosis.

Attachments

• is.php?i=1753&img=Studio_Wiring_D.jpg
    is.php?i=1753&img=Studio_Wiring_D.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
Back