Itchy throat - anything that makes it better?

schwim

Hi there guys and gals!

Before I ask, I know I could hire someone to teach me how to sing better. Just like I could hire someone to teach me how to play drums, guitar, bass, etc better. This is just a personal fun thing, nobody will ever hear it but me. I'm not looking to become a "good" singer, I'm just trying to lessen or resolve this one issue so I can get through a song without having to cough, clear my throat or stuff like that when singing the more powerful parts of a song.

Is there something particular that can be practiced when singing more forcefully/higher range that helps with itchy throat? I did some reading and I saw that some people suck on lozenges, chew gum or similar but I picture myself launching gum every time I sing :)

Thanks for your time!

Is there something particular that can be practiced when singing more forcefully/higher range that helps with itchy throat? I did some reading and I saw that some people suck on lozenges
Drink alcohol , it has a numbing effect. And people seem to sing better when they are a lil pissed. You could try railing a line of blow..If you dare.

They have sprays but they are probably just snake oils. Tea with a little bit of lemon?

Absolutely NOT alcohol - it dries the throat, slightly anaesthatises it so damage isn't notice - If they sing better when drunk, then their problem was confidence. A dry throat is one thing, but itchy suggests you're doing something damaging - 30 minutes with a singing teacher to make sure you're not killing your voice would be money well spent.

I had a cough once, and the doctor prescribed Codeine syrup. It stopped my cough reflex. My throat felt much better.

You could water it down with alcohol and make a gargle out of it. I bet it would be awesome.

Thank you guys very much for your suggestions and help. It's been years since I've done any singing so I'm trying different things while singing. It seems my issue mainly is that as I rise in pitch, I overtighten my vocal chords. I've been trying lowering the force and using different muscles while in that range to work around it. I've not figured out the magic thing yet but between that and continuing to belt 'em out, I hope to strike upon what works for me.

Some people use honey such as Robert Plant. I use water only. As Rob Aylestone said, a vocalist coach could definitely help with any issues including muscle control while singing. And I double agree with Rob on the NO alcohol point.

There are a few things that can help with an itchy throat when singing. One is to drink plenty of fluids, especially water, to help keep the throat hydrated. Another is to try to keep the throat moist by using a humidifier in the room where you are singing, or by drinking warm liquids such as tea or broth. Gargling with salt water can also help to soothe an itchy throat.

_______
Jason Hook. Audio Enthusiast and Software Developer
Remove or Isolate Vocals from any Song 👉 https://www.UnMixIt.com/

Last edited:
Back