It ain't perfect...

Dani Pace

If anyone likes homespun southern rock give this a listen ("It's A Ride" link below). The mix isn't great and there are a lot of flaws in the playing and vocals. Parts seem ok but other places just seem to be "out of whack." I'm not sure if it's me or the song itself. The recording was done in a hurry and with a minimum of processing, we are trying to get a "live" sound but a decent one. Ideas? Theories? Suggestions? Comments? I like the song and it's fun to play, but I'm sure it can sound better.

I'm having issues with soundclick and streaming in general, so let me download it and get back to you in a bit...

I'm listening on cheap headphones, but right off, the kick seems a bit loud compared to the rest of the kit. The whole kit seems kinda muffled. Could use more high end, methinks, and more snare in general.

I can't hear much bass git at all.

Maybe a tad less reverb on the guitar?

I think the 2 (or possibly more?) vocal tracks could be in sync with each other better. Especially since they are panned opposite, the timing differences stand out quite a bit. Is there like a slight slapback verb on the vocals? If so, that might be exacerbating the timing issues, because the verb isn't "slapping back" in time together. I could be totally off on that assessment. That's just sort of how it sounds.

I also think the vocals in general could come down some.

Guitar playing sounds really good. And the song itself is really cool, and right on for the style.

Back