Issues with my first studio condenser mic

bce

I have a Beringher C-1 that I'm trying to record aucostic guitar and voice with.
My setup is:

Microphone.
XLR from microphone to Phantom Power Supply (Beringher PS400)
XLR to aux lead from PS400 to laptop mic jack.
I am having trouble configuring my best possible reording settings. I'm using audacity, and THE MIC DOES WORK. However, the mic will not record when I mute my laptop speakers. I get the most input volume when my speakers are full, but the speakers hiss when they are maxed out, so everything I record has this in it.

Even without this speaker noise, the mic is not picking up enough volume. I think this is an issue with my sound settings and software configuration, not the quality of the mic itself. (I am aware, however, that the mic is a very budget choice - under £50)
I have been into the Control Panel and set my mic levels at the maximum, including the 30+Db boost... but this is not doing much. I am wondering what a standard volume is for recording?

If I need to provide anymore info, please tell me.
Thanks,
Brandon.

Welcome to the site.

First rule in home recording, don't use your internal sound card. Spend the money on an audio interface (one that has phantom power so you can return the PS400 to the store).

Here's a list of audio interfaces that can get you started....

LIST

The short of it is that you need a mic preamp. Phantom power is just power -- You need gain also. The PS400 supplies phantom to preamps without phantom. The gain you're adding in the box is post-input. Not gonna cut it.

Here's the basics:

1) You need to supply a preamp.
2) You need a better interface than the laptop's mic jack, and I suggest a USB 2.0 unit

Many USB audio interfaces have built in preamps, and many have built-in phantom power. Your signal chain should be like this ... and everything in between the mic and laptop may or may not be combined in a single unit.

Mic -> phantom power -> preamp -> USB interface -> laptop

Firstly, I'm very impressed with the quick response - really seems like you geuinely like to help, and for that I'm thankful!

So, I am leaning towards the "Behringer U-Phono UFO202"... Having searched up on what you guys are saying, I think I understand my problem...
I'm sorry if this is a question that I should be able to answer, but I don't want to get it wrong again: Could somebody please list the things I will need, including leads...? I'd like to stick with the mic I've got but I'm not sure what XLR and RCA leads I'd need with a Behringer U-Phono UFO202.

Thanks for your help so far.

NO! That interface is for phonographs and tape players, not microphones.

Go back to the list that Chill and research those interfaces. There should be no rca in the setup when done.

edit: Yikes! I didnt realize how "comprehensive" that list is.

Lets try it this way: How much would you like to spend on your interface (figured on what you think you might want to expand to in the next couple of years)?

Depending on the interface you ultimately choose your cable situation could be as simple as:

MIC>XLR-------------XLR>Interface w/phantom power>USB---------------USB>Computer

Hmm okay, well baring in mind I spent less than £40 on the mic, I wouldn't go over £50-60... Can you make any recommendations for a simplisitc choice that is a good starting point?

What about the 'Alesis MultiMix 4 USB'?

Last edited:
One thing to consider when looking at interfaces is their phantom power abilities. Read any reviews you can find of whatever interface you're looking at. As I posted in an earlier thread, my older Presonus Audiobox USB didn't supply enough power to the mic causing a high pitch hum to the mix (I don't know the science). That phantom supply you have is what I had to use in lieu of the units 48v supply. Maybe none of them now have this issue but it's something to check. ;)

Hmm okay, well baring in mind I spent less than £40 on the mic, I wouldn't go over £50-60... Can you make any recommendations for a simplisitc choice that is a good starting point?

What about the 'Alesis MultiMix 4 USB'?

That is the problem here man. When you restrict your budget, you also run the chance of poor gear that causes you to spend more money.

The Alesis MultiMix line don't even have their own ASIO drivers written for them. You will end up needing to use ASIO4ALL to run it. This is really just a jimmy-rigged way of making the interface work as an ASIO device. Is it possibly useable for you? Well, yeah maybe, but you may find that you wasted money on it in the future.

My best advice would be to up your budget over 100 and get something that will be of some quality and last.

Welcome to the site.

First rule in home recording, don't use your internal sound card. Spend the money on an audio interface (one that has phantom power so you can return the PS400 to the store).

Here's a list of audio interfaces that can get you started....

LIST

That is a great list! :)

Can somebody recommend a preamp that would be suitable for a beginner then? I do not mind having to buy a more expensive one later if I find I'm using recording gear more often... I mean, budget between £70-£100 that would include most of what I'd need to record easily, baring in mind I've never really used proper recording gear!
Thanks.

You must read again. You DO NOT want just a preamp.
You want an audio interface that has preamps and phantom power built into it.

Since you are in England you need to check out the audio sellers in your country.
A Focusrite2i2 or something similar is what you want.

Looks like the 2i2 is about £120 in the UK. That's what you should be looking at. Save up a few more pennies. :)

Apologies but I'm new to this and thought that a Preamp was an interface with phantom power! I've had a look at the Focusrite2i2... It looks tidy! I am comfortable paying this much if you think it's my best option... However, do you not think that spending £110 on an audio interface for a £40 mic is overkill? What I'm saying is should I think about upgrading my mic pretty soon? I would imagine a £40 mic would restrict the abilites of the interface?
Thanks for your patience, guys, I know ignorance can be annoying haha.

Apologies but I'm new to this and thought that a Preamp was an interface with phantom power! I've had a look at the Focusrite2i2... It looks tidy! I am comfortable paying this much if you think it's my best option... However, do you not think that spending £110 on an audio interface for a £40 mic is overkill? What I'm saying is should I think about upgrading my mic pretty soon? I would imagine a £40 mic would restrict the abilites of the interface?
Thanks for your patience, guys, I know ignorance can be annoying haha.

A preamp just amplifies a mic signal from very low level to line level to make the signal work with other gear operating at line level. They generally have other features like phantom power, low cut etc. Some mic preamps can convert the signal to digital, but that's not typical and it doesn't make it an interface.

An interface adds analog to digital conversion, USB/Firewire/PCI connection to the computer, digital to analog conversion and facilities to monitor both the input and output at the same time.

You can learn a lot about recording with your cheap mic and decent interface. Once you get good at the basic operations you can add a better mic to improve the sound quality. Keep the cheap mic as it's always nice to have tonal options. A more expensive mic isn't always the better mic for a given sound source.

My go to vocal mic can be found on ebay for $25usd. The price doesn't matter as much as the performance. Get the focusrite and try it with your mic. If you like it then no need to upgrade. If you don't, work on getting it to sound how you want rather than buying another mic. There is a lot to learn before you start hearing your mixes the way you want.

The focusrite comes with Ableton Live so you won't have to use audacity any longer. That's a good thing.

An interface is a unit which commonly includes a mic preamp, an A/D - D/A converter, phantom power and midi functions. You can buy all those functions as separate units and if you get far enough along with recording, you might find that is something you want to do. But for now, the focusrite is a good place to start.

Mind you, this is just a start, there are many other factors that you need to consider. You have to think about monitors, a good listening and recording room, decent sounding instruments, talent and performance, and above all else - a good song. :)

A preamp just amplifies a mic signal from very low level to line level to make the signal work with other gear operating at line level. They generally have other features like phantom power, low cut etc. Some mic preamps can convert the signal to digital, but that's not typical and it doesn't make it an interface.

An interface adds analog to digital conversion, USB/Firewire/PCI connection to the computer, digital to analog conversion and facilities to monitor both the input and output at the same time.

You can learn a lot about recording with your cheap mic and decent interface. Once you get good at the basic operations you can add a better mic to improve the sound quality. Keep the cheap mic as it's always nice to have tonal options. A more expensive mic isn't always the better mic for a given sound source.

Wise words from a wise man. :)

Get an interface first so that you have the ability to make decisions as to what is good for your voice after.

My go to vocal mic can be found on ebay for $25usd. The price doesn't matter as much as the performance. Get the focusrite and try it with your mic. If you like it then no need to upgrade. If you don't, work on getting it to sound how you want rather than buying another mic. There is a lot to learn before you start hearing your mixes the way you want.

The focusrite comes with Ableton Live so you won't have to use audacity any longer. That's a good thing.

An interface is a unit which commonly includes a mic preamp, an A/D - D/A converter, phantom power and midi functions. You can buy all those functions as separate units and if you get far enough along with recording, you might find that is something you want to do. But for now, the focusrite is a good place to start.

Mind you, this is just a start, there are many other factors that you need to consider. You have to think about monitors, a good listening and recording room, decent sounding instruments, talent and performance, and above all else - a good song. :)

More rep that I cannot give... Great advice!

Back