Issue with new monitor setup

amonte

Hey guys, it's been a very long time since I've been here, but I'm hoping you can offer some advice to me.

After borowing my brothers Aleses M1 Actives for two or three years, he finally asked for them back and I had to pick up a new monitor setup on the cheap. I got a pair of passive Monitor Ones (V1s) off of Craigslist and got a Hafler TA1600 off of eBay. It's a very basic setup, I know but for home and for now it's fine.

I hooked everything up tonight and did some playback tests and noticed that the speaker on the left side had more low end a bit less high end than the speaker on the right side and overall more volume. Now, I'm in a tiny untreated room but even at very low volume I could notice that there was a difference between left and right. My first thought was that it was simply the fact that the left speaker was very close to a corner and I was getting a lot of extra low end information as a result. But I wanted to be sure.

My first thought was to swap cables going into the channels to see if perhaps it was the cable causing the differences. Still was the same, more low end on the left than the right.

My next test was to swap the leads going to the speakers from the amp. When I did this, I found that the speaker on the right side now had more low end and less treble and more volume. Whatever the issue is, it was definitely the amp.

Now my first reaction was to simply turn up the right channel just to get more of a stereo image. This seems to work fairly well, but I wasn't sure if this sort of "compensation" is normal or if there is an issue with my amp. Is this just because it's a lower end amp? Has anyone else had this issue?

Should I contact the seller? Or am I simply asking too much from an amp that was $149 new?

Other than this, I am pretty happy with the setup. It's basic but it was cheap and for now it will do.

How do you know it is the amp? The cable from your soundcard to the amp could be the culprit too. You need to do some more trouble shooting. Try swapping the cables from the soundcard to the amp. This will tell you if the problem is before the amp or not.

hey thanks for the reply. I actually did try multiple cables and multiple sources (two different sound cards on the computer and also from an iPod). But I will try again to double check and also I'll try the 1/4 inputs on the amp to see if that makes a difference.

OK, I tried multiple sound sources, inputs and cables. All the same issue.

I also hooked up my multimeter and measured the voltage from channel 1 and channel 2 when passing a 60hz signal through the amp. Channel 2 was 3x louder than channel 1 at 50% volume and above.

Could be as simple as a dry solder joint or a capacitor needing replacing. The seller may have just turned it on and heard sound from both sides and did not listen to it as close as you are. Hafler make great amps by the way so it's worth fixing.

Alan.

Back