ISRC - are you using it?

Motorbreath

I was playing with the CD burning ability of Vegas 3.0 tonight (gonna upgrade to 4 very soon), when I came across the ability to add the ISRC code to each track of a DAO burn. One thing led to another, and I ended up at their site:

http://www.ifpi.org/isrc/

RIAA is the "agency" for ISRC in the USA.

It looks like CDBaby can assign ISRC codes for artists:

http://cdbaby.org/stories/03/10/06/2534677.html

So I'm wondering...

1) Is it up to the artist to provide the mastering engineer with the ISRC code for each track?

2) Can a mastering engineer assign codes on behalf of the artist? (I don't think so, since the engineer is probably not the copyright holder...but maybe?)

3) Should a mastering engineer register with RIAA for the sake of being able to assign codes (like CDBaby seems to have)?

How are are you long time mastering engineers handling this?

Let me preface this by saying I am not a fan of RIAA. Not in the least bit. I'm just on a quest to learn what I need to do before sending stuff out for mass reproduction. The cdbaby link in my previous post really got me thinking.

So I wrote to RIAA, and here is basically what they said. I post it here in case someone else ever sets about looking for the same answer.

1) The owner of the sound recording is responsible for providing the ISRC for each track.

2) Mastering engineers need not get any special ISRC code when mastering for others.

3) When asked whether one should burn a master CD for an artist if they don't have ISRC codes for each track, here is what they said:

"We recommend that every sound recording be encoded with an ISRC. If a liscensor, however, does not have an ISRC you may act as an 'information broker'--so to speak. By keeping a stack of registrant code request forms in your studio you could hand them to the liscensor to fill out and then submit them to the RIAA to ensure that the sound recordings you master are encoded. Another possiblilty is informing the liscensor of the form's existence on the RIAA website--this way they can print it, fill it out, and fax it on their own."

I'm not thrilled with their process, but this appears to be part of the game. Does this information correlate with the experience of anyone here? How do you handle ISRC codes for your clients? If you are a DIY type (like me), have you even bothered with ISRC codes before? I don't think we did for my band's first CD, but I wasn't paying attention to it either.

Is there a compelling reason to give the system a lonely finger wave and NOT use ISRC codes? (Other than the fact that it is "the system", as we know it.)

Funny how finding a little feature in your favorite software can spur such an exhaustive search for an answer!

ya know......if there is a digital imprint stating proof that it came from me....what would be the use of getting it copywritten....if someone else uses it and i dont have a copyright but have an ISRC on it. i should still have all the legalities of a copyright.....thats my thought....i never heard of isrc until you mentioned it....thanks for the info...leaves me with more questions about legal situations though

Here's an update: I got an email from someone else at RIAA today, apparently a higher up person, who said they are changing things to take into consideration small labels and indie artists that want to use ISRC codes for the sake of getting their tunes on the online music services. I will be talking to them on the phone next week, I hope. Their changes will allow for studios and mastering engineers to be an "ISRC Agent". This is all very new, coming together in the last couple of weeks or so.

I'll post again when I have more info. This is getting interesting!

Oh yeah, and I wanted to say that I agree with you, distortedrumble. If they can track it electronically, you would think they could simplify the process by just using ISRC. I guess it's another example of people catching up with technology. :)

In general all main label material that comes in for mastering comes with the code for us to encode. Provate / small label / indy stuff does not.
We recommend everyone to apply for a code FIRST before having anything mastered.
Hiowever - it can also be encoded by the duplication plant if qualtities are such that they require a glass master to be made.
and that's today's story in the ever-changing coding crap.

Back