isolating computer monitor

nattn

Can anyone give me some advice on how to isolate my computer monitor outside of moving it? I'm getting quite a bit of noise thru my monitors due to it's close proximity to my equip. I have limited space and limited use of electrical outlets. Is there a noise reducer or shield that could help ?

thanks

The answer is pretty much no...you'll have to experiment with the monitor in different positions. Also experiment with your gear in various positions (don't forget about your cables!).

Some things that can help...

- Simply move BACK. I understand limited space, but really only need about 5 or 6 feet usually.

- Using balanced lines all but eliminated much of the monitor interference I was getting (19" monitor too). This will of course require that your soundcard have balanced ins, your source have balanced outs, and that you use balanced cables (TRS, XLR).

- If you play guitar, use humbuckers. If your guitar has two humbuckers, use them both. Of course you're sacrificing tone for less noise.

- Also if you play guitar, turn such that the guitar is perpendicular to the monitor. There will be a range of about 5-10 degrees where the noise will almost completely disappear as you align your mojo with the monitor's anti-mojo field.

- Use noise reduction or a gate. Gates aren't too bad, but I can't stand noise reduction.

- Turn the monitor off when you're ready to do a good take and record blind (not easy on the monitor though).

- Get a second, small monitor (14") and use it for tracking. Use your big monitor for mixing. I did this for while.

Good luck.

Slackmaster 2000

thanks for the help

turning of my monitor has helped considerably. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to experiment with some of your other suggestions as well.

That is exactly why, before anyone buys monitors, they should find out if they are shielded or not.
Slack is right, make sure (if possible) that all your gear is balanced.
I'll never understand why manufacturers make un-shielded nearfields.

Something else to try if you have $$$ to spend

Consider replacing your CRT monitors with LCDs. Yeah, they're pricey, and they're not as good for playing fast-twitch games, but their radiated EMI is *much* lower, they're generally sharper, and their smaller form factor will buy you some space.

And the good news is that they're getting cheaper.

Dude, be warned about turning your monitor on and off. If you do it repeatedly night after night...one of these times it's just not going to turn on. You should look upon this as a temporary solution.

Slackmaster 2000

Very good advise Chucko,
I have been staring at screens for years - and went from 20/20 vision to having to wear glasses for reading etc. First thing the opticion asked was "do you use monitors a lot?"
Switched to Apple flatscreen monitors - what a relief!!!! Easy on the eyes and head!!
And that is apart from the interference.
the best advise is still - if you buy monitors make sure they are shielded.

Back