Isolating Amps and Vocals on a Budget?

moho

Hi I'm new here but have just built a studio and want to isolate the amps and the vocals from the drums as they are in the same room. The vocals dont have to be perfectly isolated because after a rough run through more than likely i would overdub afterwards. I want to do live recordings you see.

What would be best to do this? I hear 703, but what is it? And most importantly where would i get it? What would i describe it as to a shop assistant when asking for it?

To isolate it from drums will take mass. You'll need to build some gobos and damp it inside. Even then there will be bleed but at least you've got a shot.

703 referrs to OC703 (OC = Owens Corngin). This is a 3lb/cu ft density rigid fiberglass board. You'd find this potentially at a heating/AC contractor or potentially a metal building insulation supply house.

Bryan

Cheers for the advice, i bought about 15m squared of rockwool yesterday which i hear is also good and built surrounds for the amp out of MDF. I'm going to put the rockwool on the mdf sides that are facing the amps. Will leaving an air space between the rockwool and the mdf help drastically?

Back