Isolating a fridge freezer?

elementary

I have the acoustics in my recording room beginning to take shape and now I need to find a solution to the hum of the fridge.

I'll mainly be recording drums so a small level of hum is tolerable.

The fridge can't be turned off or taken out of the room, so i was thinking, build a box with no bottom out of thick plywood and line it with rockwool then slip this over the fridge.

Might this idea work? Anything I need to make sure of in construction?

Has anyone else experienced and solved this problem?

Ryan

You have to allow for the fridge to vent the heat, if you do that, your idea will work. There should be minimum setback dimensions listed in the manual, usually it's an inch or two at the back, along with a couple of inches at the top and bottom. If you follow that, then you should be able to build a box to fit. It should still be quiet enough for drums, even with the vents. It will also help to isolate the box from the floor with rubber feet or something.

Yes it can.

Any fridge will stay cool for 4 or 5 hours if you leave the door closed.

(Experience during power outages from the 4 hurricanes I've had roll across me the last few years...)

That is unfortunate.

As for the fridge ventin' the heat...I'm not too sure you want to throw a box over it...sounds like if you leave that box there long enough something will go wrong.

That is unfortunate.

As for the fridge ventin' the heat...I'm not too sure you want to throw a box over it...sounds like if you leave that box there long enough something will go wrong.

Lots of fridges have boxes thrown around them, it's just that they are called cabinets ;) Hence the clearance and vent requirements stated in the manual.

I have the acoustics in my recording room beginning to take shape and now I need to find a solution to the hum of the fridge.

I'll mainly be recording drums so a small level of hum is tolerable.

The fridge can't be turned off or taken out of the room, so i was thinking, build a box with no bottom out of thick plywood and line it with rockwool then slip this over the fridge.

Might this idea work? Anything I need to make sure of in construction?

Has anyone else experienced and solved this problem?

Ryan

First off, drum tracks are the LEAST tolerable to room "noise". You have a bunch of mics all recording that low level hum, so multiply the "nominal" noise by however many mics you are using. It really starts to add up!

Second, just put the fridge on a power strip with a switch, and make the strip accessible. I have been doing it for years. Just don't forget to turn it back on!

Back