Isn't a great dynamic mic more practical for homerec'der?

Leeking

Hi guys,

Us homerec'ders who record without a vocal booth would definately struggle with computer and background noise....

hence instead of getting fancy LDC condensor mics... wouldn't a great dynamic mic like SM7 or RE20 make more sense for our situation?

I currently have a C1 and SM57.... I am considering a SM7 for a serious upgrade....

what do you guys think?

it could be practical but its not what i did. i did have a dynamic before my condensor and i still picked up computer noise with that too. if you like the dynamic mics then i say go for it. i also didnt like how my voice sounded on the dynamic mic i had.

distortedrumble said:
it could be practical but its not what i did. i did have a dynamic before my condensor and i still picked up computer noise with that too. if you like the dynamic mics then i say go for it. i also didnt like how my voice sounded on the dynamic mic i had.
Yeah, the dynamic I am using right now sounds good, but I want a condensor for other apps as well (acoustic guitars, etc.)...

Leeking said:
Hi guys,

Us homerec'ders who record without a vocal booth would definately struggle with computer and background noise....

hence instead of getting fancy LDC condensor mics... wouldn't a great dynamic mic like SM7 or RE20 make more sense for our situation?

I currently have a C1 and SM57.... I am considering a SM7 for a serious upgrade....

what do you guys think?
Do it. The Shure SM7 is a great mic.

Every studio is going to have some kind of bottleneck.. nothing's ever perfect. That being said, try out a good quality LDC.. you'll fall in love. Half the fun of home recording is getting everything to sound good.. don't limit yourself.

The paradox is, for virtually the same money you'd spend on a lower-mid level LDC, you can have a truly world class dynamic mic found in studios the world over. The same cannot be said for most $200-300 LDC's.

Get the SM7. You won't regret it.

freshmattyp said:
The paradox is, for virtually the same money you'd spend on a lower-mid level LDC, you can have a truly world class dynamic mic found in studios the world over. The same cannot be said for most $200-300 LDC's.

Get the SM7. You won't regret it.

The real paradox is that once you get that world class dynamic, you'll start looking for the next "must have".

Welcome to the world of GAS. Nobody here gets out alive. :)

For me, a decent LDC is more versatile and should almost always be the first choice of a beginning mic locker--and there are plenty out there in the $300-$500 range.

If you are only doing vocals on yourself, and an SM7 is your mic of choice, then maybe that's all you need. But for me it would not be versatile enough as my only mic. I's still like to have an SM7, though. :D

given that it takes a fairly good mic pre to get a decent amount of mileage out of a dynamic i'd side on the large condenser for a quality mic for a home recordist who records with a lower cost mic pre.

however, the ev 635a (dynamic mic) seems very attractive as a home rec mic.

if you can find it a Beyer soundstart MKII is probably the best value for money studio vocal mic out there... very similar sound to an sm7.. but for alot less money..

but yeah get the sm7.. if you get a cheap condenser you'll out grow it.. noone out grows an sm7 or an re20 though

Back