ISA 428 with 002 (A/D decisions...)

blewgrass

Hello there.

Currently I'm using an ISA 428 in front of my 002 system with the A/D option from the ISA. Very nice... I'm also using the lightpipe connector instead of the breakout cable... all good and fine.

What do y'all suggest for me to increase the 002 up to the 192khz or even the 96khz level? Will the breakout cable give me 2 channels at a time into pro tools? Am I in jail with this setup until I upgrade the 002 or is there a creative way to get the maximum sample rate from the ISA with a 002?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Do you really need to be working at 192khz?

Pro Tools LE won't let you for a start, regardless of whether or not you can perform a mod on the 002 to get you there.

Secondly, the 002 will let you work at 96khz just not via the optical input. Can you use the SPDIF input?

Do you really need to be working at 192khz?

Good question. Probably not. I was just trying to utilize the highest quality audio the 002 has. Maybe I am good right where I am, but wanted to check with others here.

Thanks for the info.

Good question. Probably not. I was just trying to utilize the highest quality audio the 002 has. Maybe I am good right where I am, but wanted to check with others here.

Thanks for the info.

converters are spotty up in the 96-192kHz range.
not only that but it also taxes your computer's CPU/memory/hard drive the higher the sample rate. Most of us here recommend just leaving it at your target sample rate/bit depth.

converters are spotty up in the 96-192kHz range.
not only that but it also taxes your computer's CPU/memory/hard drive the higher the sample rate. Most of us here recommend just leaving it at your target sample rate/bit depth.

+1 I will usually stick with 44.1 kHz but will always record at 24 bit even if my target is CD.

Right on. That's why I'm posting here :)
I'm a newbie with unsophisticated understanding of all things audio and digital...
I do like what my ears are hearing with the standard 48/24 settings on this unit. I just received a vintech x73i which I'm excited to route into the additional outputs of the Focusrite A/D card and see what I get for vintage guitar tones and electric bass. The last part to my puzzle is maybe a high end compressor. The soft limit is great on the A/D card but I'd like to demo a neve portico 5043 or maybe a distressor to simulate a vintagey sound going into PT.

Any recommendation for the magic bullet for, say, the T Bone Burnett sound of "O brother", Gillian Welch, etc sound into a digital rig? I do have a focusrite "penta" compressor, but I haven't added that to the chain yet. I will certainly try it even though the platinum series is trashed on many audio forums. It has the "tube sound" dial!!

Thanks for the insight.

Steve

I'm gonna be quite bold here and say that some of the plugins available these days (at a fraction of a cost of the equivalent hardware) are phenomenal. They don't take up any space and are highly portable ;)

Of course lots of hardware looks cool, and it's got a certain something about it.

I'd say fully explore the limits of the equipment you have, then when you find a limit to your work, purchase new gear and then do the same.

It's far too easy to go out and spend thousands of dollars/pounds/euros etc. and not get any further with it.

Sounds like good advice. I was taping a demo the other day, and I realized I pretty much have everything I need to make some fantastic recordings. I already have a half dozen or more plugins that came with the "factory" 002 setup. I don't like the lack of monitoring and "real time" auditioning in plugins. I have used the "preview" setting with mixed results. If you have any ideas/tutorials for using plugins in protools LE, please feel free to PM me or post them here. I am a newbie in using all the features of protools.

thanks for posting the advice.

Steve

Well it sounds to me like you're using the plugins in audio suite instead of using the RTAS versions.

If you go to the mix window, on each channel strip you will have 5 (or 10 depending on which version of software you have?) insert points. Try placing the plugin in one of these slots. That will allow you to use them in real time.

Best advice I can give is to get the Digidesign 101 book and also watch the videos online: http://www.digidesign.com/dtv

Alternatively fumble your way around the software until you find what you need!

Back