Is this too similiar to another song?

bunkmusician

Alright, so this http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=713700&songID=6065321

is something I made up tonight, and wanted to work more with. But I kept thinking I had heard it before. So I kept racking my brain, and finally I realized which song it reminded me of.

Which is this nirvana song.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Mzz64S8BxiA

So my question is, are these too similiar? If so, I just want to dump it right here and now. The voice wouldn't sound similiar to nirvana, however the melody based on the note progression might head in a similiar way , im not sure. The vocals would seem a lot different though all in all.

So should I bag this because of too much similarity?

I can't listen to this, I am on a gov't pc with no speakers... but I can tell you that several years ago, some smartass with nothing better to do made several references to how Nirvana's chord progressions were mimicking Boston's Tom Schultz.

So if it's a good song and you like it, fuck it. If you don't like it, scrap it. There isn't anything new under the sun, so we are bound to write something sooner or later that someone will hear and go "that sounds just like _____________."

Go on and keep making music that pleases you.

I'd say throw it out only if that nirvana song is all you can think about when you play it. If it has any other meaning to you, then it's still your song. And Rokket is right, there isn't anything that hasn't been done before in rock music. Doesn't make some of the stuff boring, it's just not 100% original. Nothing is, not even Bach or Mozart.

i don't think they sound much alike. maybe some of the same intervals are used but the riff is different and the feel is different. i'd say you were fine :)

3 OR 4 CHORDS IN A DARK KEY ... like that's never been done before :D

I prefer your "dark" riffing song over Nirvana's song. Add some lyrics and go for it !!!

A bit similar, but really, I would have never said a thing about it if you didn't meantion it, so yeah... I would say no problems here, keep writing the tune... sounds cool so far :cool:

Back