Is this too cluttered?

jimmiebananas

This is a song I'm working on right now. It's all acoustic and a new guitar comes in every so many bars, I think 6 in all. I'm not necessarily looking for a critique on the mixing, I know it could be mixed much better. I was just wondering if anyone thinks it sounds cluttered. At the end of the clip all 6 guitars are playing at the same time. I think it sounds ok, but I've listened to it so many times while recording it that I can't tell if it sounds good anymore (if that makes sense). Again, just asking if the guitars layer well or not.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=431654
The song is called Rough Draft, no vocals yet.

Thanks in advance

I would say it does sound a bit cluttered. A couple of the parts don't seem to be adding much, either. Can you try condensing the 6 lines into maybe two or 3, taking the best bits?

It's possibe that it may work if it was mixed better, though. Maybe have a bash at that first before re-tracking?

Good luck,

I think the layering could work in the mix - going to be challenging though because most of the parts are in the same pitch range. Separating the parts in the stereo soundstage would be a good first step. Maybe start with a guitar in the center, 2nd gtr enters far left, 3rd gtr enters far right, 4th gtr enters somewhere half way in between, etc. Using different gtrs can help with this kind of thing. Slight changes in EQ, especially in the 350 Hz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz ranges can change the tone of each instrument, but EQ can ruin the sound of a gtr also so use sparingly. It's definitely challenging mixing a group of tracks of the same instrument.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I'm so new to recording and everytime I come on here I learn something new. This is the kind of stuff what will help me make better mixes.

Back