Is this song great or crap? Let me know!

MaximumMetal288

I recorded this song for my brother's band. The song is by my brother, who is in 7th grade and he plays bass. Let me know what you guys think of the song and the quality aswell.

here is the song

Thanks for any feedback. :D

Song is fine enough, and not to be harsh the recording quality somehow seems like a bright open air tape deck. If that was the medium then the quality is good...if there were four or more mics in the room, hummm.

Guitar...why do I have the feeling it was done through some crap solid state peavy/crate combo amp. The parts are fine and played well enough...just the "tone" feels a bit badly 80s dated and dare I say THIN. Some thicker bottom end and some sold palm muting could work wonders here, as could just a better overdrive distortion in general.

Bass...Some play with octaves could honestly help with dynamics, as could a better connection with drummer and guitarist.

Drummer...Dear lord, tune those heads...and pick at least one of two, pocket or great fills. As it stands now the song would have been better served with just a complete straight beat, and extremely basic breaks.

This isn't to insult or to bash what's there, just I feel if some of these random things were used...the track could be worlds beyond what it is now. Even to a point of surpassing your own ambition with the end result.

The snare is bugging me, it's just so spread out. Try to center it more, and get the hi-hat more in the middle.

It seems to distort a lot on lots of the tracks, such as guitar and some cymbal hits.

Kick is kinda lost, sounds like maybe just one or a few mic picking up the whole set with soem stereo sim effects or something?

Rhythm guitar I'd adjust the mic placement a bit to get more mids out of it, lead stuff is pretty good, although it seems to distort.

Are these all 7th graders doing this?
I wish I had a band in 7th grade, but nobody else played anything until high school.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a nice BBS!

The Guitar is recorded through my Marshall avt275 amp. The guitar could sound a lot better without the guitarist's Seymour duncans. We couldn't get a decent tone out of him so we had to scoop the mids.

The drummer on this song is not the actual drumer, he is the rhythm guitarist, and he can't drum too good. I have a hard time getting the drums to have that in your face sound that I can hear in most albums, so I panned them out, but they still don't sound quite right. I have a mic on the kick, one on the snare, and one by the toms/ride. I think new microphones would help, something a little better than nadys! Im guessing I need a good kick drum mic, a sm57 on the snare, and a couple of condensers.

Yes they are all 7th graders, except the real drummer who is in 8th grade. Here's their website.

MaximumMetal288 said:
.... The guitar could sound a lot better without the guitarist's Seymour duncans. ... [/URL]

are you mad? you could do a lot lot lot worse than have a set of seymour duncan pickups under the hood, especially paired with a marshall.

just my five quids worth....

I know, it should sound good, but it doesn't. My emgs sound great on the amp, but his seymour duncans don't have a decent sound. They sound pretty good on his Line 6 though.

The song is pretty cool for 7th and 8th graders. I hear sort of an Iron Maiden vibe going. Maybe it's the guitar tone.

These guys need to find a drummer. I think that would make all the difference in the world.

As far as the recording goes, I agree with previous posters that the hat panned hard left and the snare panned hard right sounds very unnatural.

Was there a mic in the kick?

The guitar tone is definitely dated, but I sort of like that '80s tone. That's just me.

Little kid bands crack me up. It was only 5 years ago for me.. but they're hilarious. This drum solo is cracking me up. So many stick clicks.

Also.. why the hell do these little bastards have better equipment than I do? :p

axeman69 said:
As far as the recording goes, I agree with previous posters that the hat panned hard left and the snare panned hard right sounds very unnatural.
Wow, i just noticed that. Kinda makes the drums sound like crap. I'll convince them that it sounds bad and get them back to rerecord it.

geet73 said:
This drum solo is cracking me up. So many stick clicks.
They played a show on halloween, and the drummer dropped his sticks like twice in each song.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post a new version later on today

as a mix, i didnt like it, especially the drums, and like was said before, the cheap sounding amps (too muddy). i can also hear the hum from the amp itself, probably being the gain too high.

as a performance tho, its cookin!!! those guys can play. just take the mud out of the guitars, pay attention to the buzz from the amp, make sure all unused guitars are being muted totally, and perhaps knock the gain back and drop the drum level a bit.

like i say tho, some good playing in there!!!!

Ah, I remember the days of playing music like this. Except I had a 25 watt Peavey and an Ibanez RX170 (which I cherish to this day (mostly because I'll never be able to sell it)). Guitars definitely need more presence. The drummer needs to learn how to drum.
That video was scary. No one should get shot.
And the answer to geet73s question lies in the video. Note the Viper.

OK...was the amps lead channel used then? The pickups really are not an issue...effects ":) Get him hooked up with a big muff.

"The drummer on this song is not the actual drumer, he is the rhythm guitarist, and he can't drum too good. I have a hard time getting the drums to have that in your face sound that I can hear in most albums, so I panned them out, but they still don't sound quite right. I have a mic on the kick, one on the snare, and one by the toms/ride. I think new microphones would help, something a little better than nadys! Im guessing I need a good kick drum mic, a sm57 on the snare, and a couple of condensers. "

If anything...and this might sound nuts....dont close mic. Focus more on getting the entire kit in the room picked up on the mics and use bleed to your advantage. As for in your face...you could use a bit of compression on mix down ( for the general bass/snare ). If you wanted to go all out you could use a trigger on the bass drum ( and mix the bass durms sound with the triggered ) OR use a cheep ass keyboard and double what the acoustic kit is doing ( even as an overdub as your mixing down ).

"Yes they are all 7th graders, except the real drummer who is in 8th grade. Here's their website."

Not bad at all...still have a long musical path/life to go down ":) Great to hear some real instruments with the flood of sequenced crap going on everywhere...

Back