Is this situation possible?

hansgauffin

I´m waiting for my "new in box" INCA 88 pci card to arrive, this is a little bit older card (2002) featuring 8 inputs and 8 outputs with 1/4 phone connections. I´m picturing TWO situations where the multiple input of the soundcard would be usable. First situation:
I´m tracking on a Tascam 388 1/4 8 track, and then transfer track 1-8 live into the pc using the 8 inputs of the card.
Second situation.
When the analog tracks are in the software sequenser, may I change the connections on the soundcard so that I instead
use the in/outs to connect to hardware (via patchbay)like digital delay and spring/plate reverb to use as send effects. (I don´t know how to setup the in/outs to send buses in the music software, (cubase, record, logic, haven´t desided which program that´ll work the best for me yet) but I guess it would be possible in the majority of available software. Could it be possible to use the in/outs as inserts to connect to a compressor?

Any tips or advice regarding this theory is highly aprreciated.
Regards
Hans

yes. You could process a track at a time or 8 at once. you add new tracks in the daw so you could loop the raw tracks out of the DAW through your outboard gear and return back in. But you need to figure out the routing to do this.

You will also have to be aware of the round trip delay. With 'verbs and echo I find when my rig is set 5ms' for example it has some noticeable effect on how a verb sets that may or may not need adjusting the track once its recorded. Easy enough to nudge them though. (not sure off the top if ‘5ms latency is actually 5+5 round trip, but there is IINM another couple in there for the converter too)
At 1.5 or so it’s not noticeable on effects, but you can pretty much expect it would impact a '100% wet' compressor on a track that's part of a kit mix for example.
What I've dome in many cases is bring the latency way down for recording the track, then back to normal for mixing.

Back