Is this really bad?

reddavid

Hi folks, I've been looking around with an eye to replace my M-Audio NRV10 with something featuring a couple more inputs, and the Phonic Helix 18 MK2 has caught my eye, for no real reason other than that it's been knocked down to some €300 at one retailer, while it remains nearly double that everywhere else, making it seemingly extremely good value. It's not really an ideal product for me, since I have zero interest in its DFX functions or its mixer capabilities (I want it purely for its audio interface abilities), but it does seem rather a bargain, and perhaps my best bet without spending several hundred more.

Although, something concerns me.

f4mhcy.png

Are these numbers really, really bad?

That is a sweet looking board. From what I read it looks excellent! I have never heard of that make though. I am in Canada, is that something more common in the UK?

I use the 12 channel version and I like it's versatilty. I use it only as an audio interface, but the mixer and FX unit come in handy. When recording acoustic guitar or vocals, I use the FX to add reverb to the foldback audio. The reverb helps me to sing better but it doesn't get streamed to the computer; only the raw audio coming off the trim knob.

The thing that separates the Phonic from other firewire mixers is the audio is tapped right after the trim knob, so no adjustments to EQ, fFX or anything will get recorded. You can set it up to monitor the foldback audio anyway you want without it getting "printed to tape". Most other mixer/interfaces stream audio to the computer post fader, so any changes you make on the mixer gets recorded.

I run everything into their own channel, no patchbays or plugging/unplugging. If I'm not recording, i use the mixer for practicing, songwriting, etc.

hth,

My advice, GRAB THE BARGAIN!!!!

If you find you don't like it, sell it on ebay and make a little money to go towards something you do want :)

Sound reasoning, Vinny - and with that, a bargain is grabbed : D

Thanks a lot, guys. Chili, you pretty much sold me on it, and your music sounds excellent. Washburn, nope, they're practically unheard of here, too. Bless 'em, though - they even plead "spread the word" on their website :)

I'll have a play with it and put a small review up later, comparing it to my NRV10 on the off-chance that anyone on google might be interested.

Good luck and have fun. Mine has worked flawlessly for the last 3 or 4 years. Only recently have I been getting cut outs, but I am attributing that problem to a bad hard drive which I just replaced.

Thanks for the good word on my tunes. Much appreciated.

The thing that separates the Phonic from other firewire mixers is the audio is tapped right after the trim knob, so no adjustments to EQ, fFX or anything will get recorded. You can set it up to monitor the foldback audio anyway you want without it getting "printed to tape". Most other mixer/interfaces stream audio to the computer post fader, so any changes you make on the mixer gets recorded.

In other words, Phonic did it right. :)

Back