Is this okay for my studio set-up?

meganiam

So, pretty much...
This is what I've got going on so far. I just wanted to ask you guys if you have any ideas for improvement, possible corrections, or just any advice in general.

I'm buying a new computer, a PC, (I know this is a huge debate, but I've worked with, on, and built, PC's my entire life,) it has a 120GB hard drive, and 512MB of RAM.

I'll be using Mixcraft 5 software. I'll probably upgrade software after my entire studio is built, but right now it's my comfort zone and wallet friendly.

As for vocal (and acoustic guitar, tambourine, shakers, claves) recording, I have a Behringer C-1 Condenser Microphone, a Nady 6-Inch Clamp On Pop Filter. Using them both with a tripod boom stand.

I'm planning to be a M-Audio Fast Track USB Audio Interface, and a 25ft Nady Microphone Cable, it comes with 'XLR connectors' (can someone go more into depth on what exactly those are?)... I've been told by several people that this will be all I need to get the microphone hooked up and working with the computer.

I'm setting all this up in my bedroom. I have a very small space set aside for it, but I have a very small empty closet that I'll be recording in. I'm planning on padding those walls with something cheap, rather than the pannels you buy at music stores... I've heard these ideas; foam mattress padding, drink holders, egg cartons, blankets... any ideas/suggestions?

Going more into depth, I'm also buying a keyboard. Will I be able to get one that I can use a cable to hook into the same interface? I'm on a pretty tight budget. What do I need to be looking for when it comes to keyboards?

Thanks for all the help everyone on this fourm has already given me and continues to give me.

PC will be fine for what you're doing. Don't fall for the Mac elitist mentality haha. :spank:

You do have everything you need to get going. Just build your chain like this:

Mic > Interface > Computer/DAW (Mixcraft 5).

I don't have any experience with that program, so I couldn't tell you a thing about it, but Im sure there is a forum for it somewhere on here. Search around for the help with your DAW and you've got that part of the puzzle done.

Also, not a clue on monitors...don't have any myself.

You might do better to record in your bedroom rather than a closet. Unless you can get the closet completely dead, it will sound like a box. No egg cartons, cup holders or blankets. Mattresses might work well.

As for monitors, you should look at buying a popular brand. There are so many other variables to consider before the difference in monitors comes into play. Recording in your bedroom won't be ideal unless you can acoustically treat it properly.

Does the M-audio interface come with a DAW program? If so, you might reconsider spending more money on another DAW. (If money is tight, that is)

Keyboards... hmmm, I can suggest you look at midi controllers, then use VSTi's in your DAW. There are lots of cheap or free VSTi synths available. A good one is the EMU Proteus VX; it's a plug-in and standalone program. Tons of different patches, presets, libraries, etc... and FREE.

I think a midi controller would be much much cheaper than buying a complete keyboard with a sound module.

An XLR is a type of connector, mostly used for balanced signals. I won't go into the details, you can google it. The thing with XLR connectors is you can only plug them in one way, so they are used exclusively for mics needing phantom power. Condensor mics need phantom power.

hth,

Reaper software - it's free to try out (and use).

512K Ram is not enough in today's world. Minimum 1M, 2M is best.

Keyboard - can you play? It would be a real learning curve for you to learn the techniques of Midi sound at the same time as recording, so a simple unit with built-in sound is probably your best bet. I love my Casio WK500 (although the 'pros' dislike the name, you can't fault the price).

I've talked to a guy about putting 2 gigs of memory... better idea?

Guys, I know this sounds stupid,
but what exactly is a DAW?

Short for Digital Audio Workstation. It is the computer program that you would be using to reocrd and/or mix. I would also like to second Reaper as a possible DAW program. I use it exclusively and haven't had a single problem.

Get at least 2 gigs of RAM.

A DAW can be the software that you use on your computer or it can be a standalone recorder like the ZOOM R16, which for under $400 has everything that you would need and then some.

I would also suggest a MIDI controller or at least a keyboard with MIDI.

The thing with XLR connectors is you can only plug them in one way, so they are used exclusively for mics needing phantom power. Condensor mics need phantom power.

hth,

And just to clear it up for the new guy...........
XLR's are used for almost all microphones includeing condensers, dynamics, & ribbons. They can also be used as balanced monitor cables. Condensers do need phantom power, dynamics do not need phantom power (but doesn't hurt them in most cases), and I'm pretty sure that ribbons never need phantom power (I've never used a ribbon, but would like to:))

:D:D:D

As for vocal (and acoustic guitar, tambourine, shakers, claves) recording, I have a Behringer C-1 Condenser Microphone, a Nady 6-Inch Clamp On Pop Filter. Using them both with a tripod boom stand.

I'm setting all this up in my bedroom. I have a very small space set aside for it, but I have a very small empty closet that I'll be recording in. I'm planning on padding those walls with something cheap, rather than the pannels you buy at music stores... I've heard these ideas; foam mattress padding, drink holders, egg cartons, blankets... any ideas/suggestions?

QUOTE]
OK whatever you do, dont use any of the things you mentioned to treat your space. A small closet could be put to use as an amp tank but not much else. The instruments you mentioned all actualy need quite a live space to sound nice so try other rooms in your house, lots of clutter is good, you dont want carpeted floors if you can help it and for gods sake dont think about putting carpet on walls ever. For vocals you do need it dead, I have gotten good results with a booth made from matresses and beading, the closet could be used as a vocal booth but it would need lots of treatment.

If I dont have a properly treated space to record in I wonder round the place i'm in with the instrument and find the spot that sounds best. Could be the bedroom, could be the kitchen, who knows.

For monitoring you really do need to treat your space, fiberglass or rockwool insulation is the way to go, you will need to cover your panels so you dont get the particles in your lungs

Back