Is this mix ready for mastering?

Sorry, no idea on the mastering questions, but I did listen to the track a few times.

While I like vocals fx generally and these specifically, I wished that the vocals were just a tad clearer so it would be easier to make them out. I think maybe they could come up a bit?

So how are you doing the staccato, heavily-panned guitar thing that repeats throughout much of the tune? It sounds like you're playing with a toggle on the guitar and somehow have it intermittently panned to either side as it comes on and off? Pretty cool.

Yeah I'd say it's ready for mastering myself. Nice - original and interesting. Look up finemastering.de if you want your tune mastered. He's done a number of tunes for me and it's worked out great.

Sorry, no idea on the mastering questions, but I did listen to the track a few times.

While I like vocals fx generally and these specifically, I wished that the vocals were just a tad clearer so it would be easier to make them out. I think maybe they could come up a bit?

So how are you doing the staccato, heavily-panned guitar thing that repeats throughout much of the tune? It sounds like you're playing with a toggle on the guitar and somehow have it intermittently panned to either side as it comes on and off? Pretty cool.

Thanks for the input heatmiser. I'm not completely happy with the end result of the vocals, but i've done a lot of messing around with them and this seems like the best result i'm able to get.

The staccato guitar just has a "Guitar Rig 3" effect on it and lots of random panning through the software, glad you liked it.

Yeah I'd say it's ready for mastering myself. Nice - original and interesting. Look up finemastering.de if you want your tune mastered. He's done a number of tunes for me and it's worked out great.

Thanks for the info ido. I'll take a look at finemastering.de, thanks for the suggestion.

Hmm... Being honest.. The levels are a bit out of whack, in my opinion.

Drums are too far back a little. Tremolo'ed guitar is too hot, and your rhythm guitars really need to be doubled / tripled / quadrupled, and panned like crazy to give em' 3-d space. As they are, they're very mono-ish. Give those suckers some meat!!

The guitar solo also needs to come way up. Could barely hear it over the other guitars.

Vocals need to come up a lot, too.

Those are the comments on the mix.

The performance is right-on, dude. Great sounding performance all the way around. Great guitar work, great drumming, bass sounds nice and fat and is played really well. Vocals are on pitch and sung very well.

So... Get your critical-listening hat on, turn off the "I'm a guitarist, so I wanna hear the guitars all the time" sense, and get this sucker mixed right! It would rock seriously hard.

Keep it up, man.

Drums are too far back a little. Tremolo'ed guitar is too hot, and your rhythm guitars really need to be doubled / tripled / quadrupled, and panned like crazy to give em' 3-d space. As they are, they're very mono-ish. Give those suckers some meat!!

The guitar solo also needs to come way up. Could barely hear it over the other guitars.

The performance is right-on, dude. Great sounding performance all the way around. Great guitar work, great drumming, bass sounds nice and fat and is played really well. Vocals are on pitch and sung very well.

So... Get your critical-listening hat on, turn off the "I'm a guitarist, so I wanna hear the guitars all the time" sense, and get this sucker mixed right! It would rock seriously hard.

Keep it up, man.

Agreed. Tracking and performance sound fine. Guitars are way too loud and drums too soft. Maybe a bit of work on the mix, but pretty good!

Keep it up, man.

Thx for the honest critique of the mix. You've given me lots of thoughts to focus on, I'll take your comments to heart and give it my best shot on fixing the mix and thx for the comments on the perfomance. :)

The kick doesn't seam to have any real depth to it, and the drums overall need to come up a quite a bit. Other than that its pretty good.

Love this.

The vocal has some kind of distorted megaphone effect that softens it too much.

I would like more clarity, and a master should help that, but might bury the drums if you go for loudness.

Real good work, but I agree the mix could be better, this clinic can be really helpful (has been for me) I agree you could bring back the guitars a bit, and I think it would be a mistake to leave the vocals that low, its too much of a strain to hear them. Overall I think the tones/effects etc are all quite good, I'd just re-level a few things and say its ready to master.

NOTE I use Isotope Ozone 4. You can download a full working sample(works for 10days) then you have to buy it. If you dont buy it you can still keep the work you did. Cant beat that deal, see what you can do, if your not happy send it out for mastering.

Love this.

The vocal has some kind of distorted megaphone effect that softens it too much.

I would like more clarity, and a master should help that, but might bury the drums if you go for loudness.

Thanks for listening, I'll play around with the vocal a bit to see if i can make it stand out a bit more, but i'd like to keep some of the edginess of the "megaphone" effect.

Real good work, but I agree the mix could be better, this clinic can be really helpful (has been for me) I agree you could bring back the guitars a bit, and I think it would be a mistake to leave the vocals that low, its too much of a strain to hear them. Overall I think the tones/effects etc are all quite good, I'd just re-level a few things and say its ready to master.

NOTE I use Isotope Ozone 4. You can download a full working sample(works for 10days) then you have to buy it. If you dont buy it you can still keep the work you did. Cant beat that deal, see what you can do, if your not happy send it out for mastering.

I agree this forum is great for insightful feedback including yours. I'll take a look at Ozone 4, thanks for the tip.

I really cant add anything that hasn't already been said but I have to add that given the balance problems with the mix and such, there are some really nice tones going on here if given more balance punch and clarity. Don't go for loudness though. The RMS could stand to come up a bit but this is the kind of sound I would not process too much.

Back