Is this mix close?

-can you make the intro gtr stereo?? the panned leads are a good idea.
-a tad loud cymbal entrance.
-kick could come up.
-I'm finding stuff like the woodblock(or cowbell..or whatever it is...catus bark...!!) is as loud as the snare...is that ok with you?
-Some wild leads there pardner....!!
-maybe with the kick drum, the bass gtr could be more defined and help the bottom side with the kick.
-I like louder vocals too.
-there IS a lot of gtr stuff going on...eh?;) I find the lead starting around 4:00 is nice and loud, but is the loudest instrument so far in the mix. Maybe the other leads should be as loud as well..as for the vocals to match.
-Most of my suggestions at this point deal mainly with volumes....when that becomes more sorted out, it will be easier FOR ME to tell what a next step might be.

wild ass gtrs!!

after rereading my previous post...it looks like I just told you to turn everything up:eek: :eek:

Thanks for the ear.

I just went through the mix again and tried to punch up the vocals some. I tracked the intro git in mono but could dup the track and split the panning.
I just upped the cowbell before posting the mp3. I was lost before, maybe it is too "found" now.
I did the intro gits and all the rhyme gits. I had a couple friends trade of on the fills and the ending solo. They had fun and did a great job. I want to represent them fairly in the mix. Like I said, this is alot for me to capture properly.
Any tips on getting the bass harnessed a bit. It is a shitty bass with a shitty rig and tends to be muddy and undefined. Should I look closer at eqs on the track?
The leads preceding the 4 min mark are meant to be "fills" so I don't wanna spotlight them too much. The exit leads are two diffent players and solos. Can you tell? I was hard pressed to give them disinction.

Thanks alot for your ear. I could use the input.

Theron.

Mixmkr,
If I make all louder, won't I have the same stew at a hotter temp? What can I leave or lower and what should I push up? I don't know how much hotter I can push the overall headroom.

Damn, I suck! The more I do, the less I can do.
Theron.

The snare sounds too much compressed, or is that supposed to sound like a marching-snare type thingy? Anyway, you could go a little easier on the compressor there. There's definately many things going on in this mix, but not too much IMO. It goes forward greatly, and it has a nice country-western thing going on. The dual solo guitar thing works at places, and other places it doesn't add much to the song, but it's not annoying. The solo guitar tone is excellent, by the way :)

Songwise this is great. There's lots of stuff going on, so you can listen to this many times and pick up new stuff. The intro almost sounded like some Pink Floyd epic, especially the soft solo guitars coming right and left in it. Kinda has that "Echoes" feel to it, but then the song gets rolling nicely. The intro didn't sound fiting at first, but listening again, I don't mind the thing at all.

Thanks for the comments CrankyOne,
The snare is as it is. I used looped drums on this tune and did little more than build fills and breaks. I havn't the ear to compress a single snare.
I miked the git tracks at the cabinet and made a point of leaving the tone alone as much as possible ( a little post-eq to boost the lows and give a little clarity), I liked how it sounded when recording and wanted to preserve the players choice of tone.
Glad you decided to like the intro, I had fun coming up with it.

theron.

hey theron,

Since your just asking for mix input, I will keep my comments focused on that.. but you have already recieved the mix tips from mix and cranky, and they are on the money..

I'll just say pretty cool tune, although I had mixed feelings about the wild guitar.. I generally enjoyed the tune.. I liked the intro and thought it could have been elaborated on... Like you probably could have sang something nice over that too.... or came back to it sometime later for some vocalage..

cool tune overall though.:cool:

later

sam

That crash at the intro came in a little too strong, it made me to expect a very very powerful(loud) verse right after that, but then the vocal and everything seemed kinda weak comparing to that loud crash. Not saying the vocal itself is weak at all.

AL

Sam, I'm trying to tame those wild gits, but not too much. I just want them to get along with the other tracks a bit better.
Thanks for the listen.

A1A2, I think once I get the vox sitting better (i.e. higher) in the mix, the intro will have more impact. Thanks for your time and attention.

Theron.

I've tweaked the mix using all the input you fine fellows and (gals?) have shelled out. Thanks again for the feedback.

I haven't updated the mix but, if anyone has more, different, contrasting or general (i.e. song, lyrics, arrangment, feel) comments, please give it up.

It is hard for me to easily update the mix but, if the heavy's of the mixing field are interested, I will post how I've taken your advice to heart and practice.
This song will fall to rest in the "did the best I could" archive soon and I want it to sound decent when I look it up latter.

Thanks to all.

Theron.

well, I'm partial to acoustics, and you asked. This could be acoustic. I like the tune. I like the electrics. I think a good mix of both would hit right on. How about an acoustic leading the way when the singging starts?

dtb

I thought musically it was a pretty good song. I liked the overall ambiance. And I liked the wild guit myself - and the tone on it was perfect for the part(s). To my taste, the snare sounded really nice. I love a snare part that has a real "snap" to it like it did here. I'm going to try some more heavy compression my next time out.

Now I thought the vocals got way too washed out in reverb. I'd tame that if it were my song. Ditto for the flanger in the intro.

Nice overall job.

Back